SubjectRE: amusing SLUB compaction bug when CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE
Date
From: Hugh Dickins
> Sent: 30 September 2022 17:22

> > See https://godbolt.org/z/3nGsTaf5e
> > the align() directive takes precedence.
> >
> > Here you only want to ensure the alignment is at least 4.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand the point you are making,
> nor how to deduce it from the link which you give:
> I'll leave it to those who understand better.

(I've copied Kees Cook - I think it is his patches that are
increasing the function alignment.
He'll need to find the thread history...)

IIRC -malign_functions is being used to put functions onto
16 byte boundaries to get aligned pad space before the function.
Adding __align(4) overrides this and (I think) will remove
the pad space.

I could only see the alignment directives in gcc ouput.
clang didn't seem to generate them.

David

Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)

  Last update: 2022-09-30 23:35    [W:0.073 / U:0.664 seconds]