SubjectRe: Why set .suppress_bind_attrs even though .remove() implemented?
On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 05:27:42PM +0200, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 06:35:27PM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > That is precisely the way I've been testing it and everything appears
> > > to be tore down as it should.
> > >
> > > And a PCI driver that has been unbound should have released its
> > > resources, or that's a driver bug. Right?
> >
> > But that's the thing: you can easily remove part of the infrastructure
> > without the endpoint driver even noticing. It may not happen in your
> > particular case if removing the RC driver will also nuke the endpoints
> > in the process, but I can't see this is an absolute guarantee. The
> > crash pointed to by an earlier email is symptomatic of it.
> >
> > > And for the OF INTx case you mentioned earlier, aren't those mapped by
> > > PCI core and could in theory be released by core as well?
> >
> > Potentially, though I haven't tried to follow the life cycle of those.
> > The whole thing is pretty fragile, and this sort of resource is rarely
> > expected to be removed...
>
> This made me notice that we don't undo the actions (ie bridge->map_irq())
> executed in pci_assign_irq() in pci_device_remove(); I don't think this
> can be right and that's already a candidate for a fix.

There's an inherent asymmetry here as a legacy interrupt can be used by
more than one device. It is mapped on first use as each user calls
->map_irq() but can only be disposed when the final user is gone as I
mentioned here:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/Yt+6azfwd%2FLuMzoG@hovoldconsulting.com/

> It is not necessarily related to this thread topic, though I believe,
> in an _ideal_ world, removing a bridge should guarantee that all
> the downstream devices (ie drivers) had a chance of freeing/disposing
> the resources they allocated. This in theory; I totally understand
> Marc's point of view here and we should make up our mind about what
> we want to do on host bridge removal policy - this will take me more
> time to get to the bottom of it.

Johan

  Last update: 2022-09-28 08:36    [W:0.108 / U:0.564 seconds]