SubjectRe: [External] Re: [RFC] proc: Add a new isolated /proc/pid/mempolicy type.
From
Hi--

On 9/26/22 07:08, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Mon 26-09-22 20:53:19, Zhongkun He wrote:
>>> [Cc linux-api - please do so for any patches making/updating
>>> kernel<->user interfaces]

>>> Is there any reason to make it procfs interface rather than pidfd one?
>>
>> Hi michal, thanks for your reply.
>>
>> I just think that it is easy to display and adjust the mempolicy using
>> procfs. But it may not be suitable, I will send a pidfd_set_mempolicy patch
>> later.
>
> proc interface has many usability issues. That is why pidfd has been
> introduced. So I would rather go with the pidfd interface than repeating
> old proc API mistakes.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the pidfd interface and I can't find any
documentation on it. Is there some?

Can I 'cat' or 'grep' in the pidfd interface?

>> Btw.in order to add per-thread-group mempolicy, is it possible to add
>> mempolicy in mm_struct?
>
> I dunno. This would make the mempolicy interface even more confusing.
> Per mm behavior makes a lot of sense but we already do have per-thread
> semantic so I would stick to it rather than introducing a new semantic.
>
> Why is this really important?

Thanks.

--
~Randy

  Last update: 2022-09-29 01:41    [W:0.062 / U:0.252 seconds]