SubjectRe: Missing MIPI IPU6 camera driver for Intel Alder Lake laptops
Hi Greg, others,

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 05:02:40PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 04:54:53PM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > For the time being, I agree with your recommendation to not buy these
> > devices if you care about camera support.
>
> I second this, don't buy these devices if the vendor is not willing to
> get their drivers upstreamed properly.

I can now confirm that IPU6 driver upstreaming is now planned, with IPU6
input system driver to be upstreamed first. The intent is that we would
have patches for review on LMML around the end of the year.

The processing system driver will need more work to replace the custom
interface. For a fully functional camera stack, also libcamera support for
IPU6 will be needed.

I think I can say a major factor for why we're here is that the original
intent was to use a different interface for upstream but as we don't have
one yet and probably won't for quite some time, this doesn't really seem
like a viable option anymore.

So I'm afraid I can't promise a quick fix but at the same time I can say
work is being done to address this.

--
Kind regards,

Sakari Ailus

  Last update: 2022-09-22 15:08    [W:0.147 / U:0.904 seconds]