SubjectRe: Correlation CMA size and FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER
Hi

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 2:08 PM David Hildenbrand <david@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 19.09.22 13:59, Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi wrote:
> > Hi David

> >> Yes, in an ideal case it should be automatic.

> >> FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER is just a way to increase/decrease the maximum
> >> allocation size of the buddy in general.

> >> I think that the issue is that the CMA alignments nowadays depend on the
> >> pageblock size. And the pageblock size depends on *some* configurations
> >> on the maximum allocation size of the buddy.
> >>
> >> Documenting the interaction between FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER and CMA size
> >> alignment is not trivial.
> >>
> >> For example, with CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE there might not be such an
> >> interaction. With CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE, there clearly is one.
> >>

> >> Let me phrase it this way: is it good enough in you setup to get 32mb vs
> >> 8mb or do you want/need to reduce it without adjusting
> >> FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER ?
> >
> > Wait we have:
> > - CMA kconfig alignment that in most config we have not considered
> > natural dma alignment but is put to 1Mb in a lot of embedded
> > - We have CMA_SIZE, CMA_SIZE_PERCENTAGE etc. Those seems that are not
> > effect if ZONEORDER is not reasonable and without
> > HUGETLB_PAGE
> > - etc
> >
> > Changing MAX_ZONEORDER is ok and yes if you have an IOT device that
> > you know about your CMA allocation, it makes no sense to have
> > it 32MB for a 128Mb device. What I point out is that I need to figure
> > it out because in Kconfig there is no mention of it. Should it be
> > added there?
>
> Something like
>
> "Note that in some configurations, the CMA size must be aligned to the
> maximum allocation granularity of the buddy allocator, consequently
> depending on FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER. The requested CMA size might get
> increased accordingly."
>
> Maybe we'd want some kind of a warning in the kernel as well. If someone
> specifies "cma=2MB" but gets 32MB or more that might be a problem.
>
> Does something like that make sense to you?

Yes we need to warn the user and add to Kconfig. Maybe wait for other
to get a feedback

Michael

--
Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
Co-Founder & Chief Executive Officer

Amarula Solutions BV
Joop Geesinkweg 125, 1114 AB, Amsterdam, NL
T. +31 (0)85 111 9172
info@amarulasolutions.com
www.amarulasolutions.com

  Last update: 2022-09-19 14:12    [W:0.250 / U:0.056 seconds]