SubjectRe: imx8mm lcdif->dsi->adv7535 no video, no errors
On 22-08-07, Adam Ford wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 4:05 PM Adam Ford <aford173@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Marco,
> > >
> > > Looking through the DSIM driver that NXP uses, it appears that they
> > > have a few special cases where they intentionally manipulate the DSIM
> > > under certain conditions:
> > >
> > > /* '1280x720@60Hz' mode with 2 data lanes
> > > * requires special fine tuning for DPHY
> > > * TIMING config according to the tests.
> > > */
> > >
> > > There is also a separate one for the 4-lane mode:
> > >
> > > /* workaround for CEA standard mode "1280x720@60" "1920x1080p24"
> > > * display on 4 data lanes with Non-burst with sync
> > > * pulse DSI mode, since use the standard horizontal
> > > * timings cannot display correctly. And this code
> > > * cannot be put into the dsim Bridge's mode_fixup,
> > > * since the DSI device lane number change always
> > > * happens after that.
> > > */
> > >
> > > And lastly, they address issues with 3-lane mode:
> > >
> > > /* TODO: DSIM 3 lanes has some display issue, so
> > > * avoid 3 lanes enable, and force data lanes to
> > > * be 2.
> > > */
> > >
> > > Since the ADV is trying to adjust the lanes to 3 when running at 720p,
> > > it could be part of the reason you need to jump to 2-lane mode.

> > I tested running various modes with the timing generator disable on an
> > NXP kernel with functional video, and some of the video modes stopped
> > operating or became blurry. With the generator on, it appeared to
> > make the issues go away, so I think it should be left on.

> > > Based on what I'm seeing for this NXP platform, it almost seems like
> > > the DSI transmitter should make the determination on whether or not to
> > > scale the number of lanes instead of having the ADV7373 do it. Since
> > > their custom kernel is able to do 720p in 4-lane mode with this part,
> > > it doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
> >
> > I did a bunch of comparisons between registers for both the ADV7535
> > and the DSIM, and it appears that the video information is somehow
> > different between the working NXP kernel and non-working one.
> >
> > The two main differences are around the values of htotal hfp. Both
> > the DSIM and the ADV7535 are using different values for htotal and the
> > hfp between the kernels. I am wondering if there is a bug in the 5.19
> > driver which is fetching wrong info or somehow the data isn't being
> > calculated properly because both the DSIM and the ADV timings match
> > each other, but don't match the working kernel.
> >

> > 720p Working on NXP:
> >
> > [ 24.657957] sec_mipi_dsim_set_main_mode: vmode->hfront_porch 112 ->
> > hfp_wc = 78
> > [ 24.665284] sec_mipi_dsim_set_main_mode: vmode->hsync_len 40 -> hsa_wc = 24
> > [ 24.681496] adv7511_dsi_config_timing_gen: htotal 1652
> > [ 24.691372] adv7511_dsi_config_timing_gen: hfp 112
> >
> > 720p Not working:
> >
> > [ 106.424404] samsung_dsim_set_display_mode: vfp = 5
> > [ 106.429216] samsung_dsim_set_display_mode: bfp = 20
> [...]

Hi Adam,

thanks for your work and sharing. Did you tested our current solution
since we think that we understood the DSIM porches? As I said in the
very beginning of this discussion, NXP took some porch values we really
don't understand and I don't think they do either. NXP tweaked the
values somehow so the chip is producing at least the most wanted
resolutions.

Regards,
Marco

  Last update: 2022-08-08 10:56    [W:0.095 / U:0.072 seconds]