SubjectRe: New subsystem for acceleration devices
On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 6:03 AM Dave Airlie <airlied@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Aug 2022 at 17:44, Oded Gabbay <oded.gabbay@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Why not port the habana driver to drm now instead? I don't get why it
> > > wouldn't make sense?
> >
> > imho, no, I don't see the upside. This is not a trivial change, and
> > will require a large effort. What will it give me that I need and I
> > don't have now ?
>
> The opportunity for review, code sharing, experience of locking
> hierarchy, mm integration?
>
> IMHO The biggest thing that drm has is the community of people who
> understand accelerators, memory management, userspace command
> submissions, fencing, dma-buf etc.
>
> It's hard to have input to those discussions from the outside, and
> they are always ongoing.
>
> I think one of the Intel teams reported dropping a lot of code on
> their drm port due to stuff already being there, I'd expect the same
> for you.
>
> The opposite question is also valid, what does moving to a new
> subsystem help you or others, when there is one with all the
> infrastructure and more importantly reviewers.
>
> I'd be happy to have accelerator submaintainers, I'd be happy to even
> create an ACCELERATOR property for non-gpu drivers, so they can opt
> out of some of the GPUier stuff, like multiple device node users etc,
> or even create a new class of device nodes under /dev/dri.

I'm taking all what you wrote seriously, these are all good points.
As I wrote to Jason, I don't want to jump the gun here. I think we
should discuss this and explore the possibilities that you suggested
because I would like to reach consensus if possible.
Maybe this is something we can discuss in LPC or in the kernel summit ?

Oded

> > I totally agree. We need to set some rules and make sure everyone in
> > the kernel community is familiar with them, because now you get
> > different answers based on who you consult with.
> >
> > My rules of thumb that I thought of was that if you don't have any
> > display (you don't need to support X/wayland) and you don't need to
> > support opengl/vulkan/opencl/directx or any other gpu-related software
> > stack, then you don't have to go through drm.
> > In other words, if you don't have gpu-specific h/w and/or you don't
> > need gpu uAPI, you don't belong in drm.
>
> What happens when NVIDIA submit a driver for just compute or intel?
> for what is actually a GPU?
> This has been suggested as workaround for our userspace rules a few times.
>
> If my GPU can do compute tasks, do I have to add an accelerator
> subsystem driver alongside my GPU one?
>
> > After all, memory management services, or common device chars handling
> > I can get from other subsystems (e.g. rdma) as well. I'm sure I could
> > model my uAPI to be rdma uAPI compliant (I can define proprietary uAPI
> > there as well), but this doesn't mean I belong there, right ?
>
> Good point, but I think accelerators do mostly belong in drm or media,
> because there is enough framework around them to allow them to work,
> without reinventing everything.
>

> > > I think the one area I can see a divide where a new subsystem is for
> > > accelerators that are single-user, one shot type things like media
> > > drivers (though maybe they could be just media drivers).
> > >
> > > I think anything that does command offloading to firmware or queues
> > > belongs in drm, because that is pretty much what the framework does. I
> > I think this is a very broad statement which doesn't reflect reality
> > in the kernel.
>
> I think the habanalabs driver is one of the only ones that is outside
> this really, and in major use. There might be one or two other minor
> drivers with no real users.
>
> Dave.

  Last update: 2022-08-07 08:51    [W:0.155 / U:26.184 seconds]