SubjectRe: imx8mm lcdif->dsi->adv7535 no video, no errors
On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 7:52 AM Marco Felsch <m.felsch@pengutronix.de> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On 22-08-04, Dave Stevenson wrote:
> > Hi Marco
> >
> > On Thu, 4 Aug 2022 at 10:38, Marco Felsch <m.felsch@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Dave, Adam,

> > > Thanks for stepping into :)

> > > I've read this also, and we are working in nonburst mode with sync
> > > pulses. I have no access to an MIPI-DSI analyzer therefore I can't
> > > verify it.

> > > On DSI side you don't have a pixel-clock instead there is bit-clock.
> >
> > You have an effective pixel clock, with a fixed conversion for the
> > configuration.
> >
> > DSI bit-clock * number of lanes / bits_per_pixel = pixel rate.
> > 891Mbit/s * 4 lanes / 24bpp = 148.5 Mpixels/s
>
> Okay, I just checked the bandwidth which must equal.
>
> > As noted elsewhere, the DSI is DDR, so the clock lane itself is only
> > running at 891 / 2 = 445.5MHz.

> > > Is it possible to share the key points of the requirements?
> >
> > "Specifically the ADV7533 supports the Non-Burst Mode with syncs. This
> > mode requires real time data generation as a pulse packet received
> > becomes a pulse generated. Therefore this mode requires a continuous
> > stream of data with correct video timing to avoid any visual
> > artifacts."
> >
> > LP mode is supported on data lanes. Clock lane must remain in HS mode.
> >
> > "... the goal is to accurately convey DPI-type timing over DSI. This
> > includes matching DPI pixel-transmission rates, and widths of timing
> > events."
>
> Thanks for sharing.

> > > It should be absolute no difference if you work on 891MHz with 2 lanes
> > > or on 445.5 MHz with 4 lanes. What must be ensured is that you need the
> > > minimum required bandwidth which is roughly: 1280*720*24*60 = 1.327
> > > GBps.
> >
> > Has someone changed the number of lanes in use? I'd missed that if so,
> > but I'll agree that 891MHz over 2 lanes should work for 720p60.
>
> The ADV driver is changing it autom. but this logic is somehow odd and
> there was already a approach to stop the driver doing this.
>
> To sync up: we have two problems:
> 1) The 720P mode with static DSI host configuration isn't working
> without hacks.

can you share your hacks with me about getting 720p to work? I've
been struggling to get 720 to work.

> 2) The DSI link frequency should changed as soon as required
> automatically. So we can provide all modes.
>
> I would concentrate on problem 1 first before moving on to the 2nd.

I do have some code that does #2 already. I can clean it up and share
if you want. I've been bouncing back and forth between the NXP kernel
and the Jagan/Fabio kernel to compare and with my clock change, it
appears to be generating similar clocks to the NXP, yet it still won't
sync at 720P.

> > I have just noted that 720p59.94 at 24bpp on 4 lanes is listed as one
> > of the modes that is mandatory to use the timing generator (reg 0x27
> > bit 7 = 1). On 2 lanes it is not required.
> > I don't know why it's referencing the 1000/1001 pixel clock rates and
> > not the base one, as it's only a base clock change with the same
> > timing (74.176MHz clock instead of 74.25MHz).
>
> Interesting! I would like to know how the HDMI block gets fetched by the
> DSI block and how the timing-generator can influence this in good/bad
> way. So that we know what DSI settings (freq, lanes) are sufficient.

> > > There is no such DSI pixel rate to be precise, we only have a DSI bit
> > > clock/rate.

> > > This is interesting and would proofs our assumption that the device
> > > don't have a FIFO :)
> > >
> > > Our assumptions (we don't have the datasheet/programming manual):
> > > - HDMI part is fetching 3 bytes per HDMI pixclk
> > > - Ratio between dsi-clk and hdmi-pixelclk must be 3 so the DSI and
> > > HDMI are in sync. So from bandwidth pov there are no differences
> > > between:
> > > - HDMI: 74.25 MHz * 24 Bit = 1782.0 MBit/s
> > > - DSI: 891 MHz * 2 lanes = 1782.0 MBit/s (dsi-clock: 445.5 )
> > > - DSI: 445.5 MHz * 4 lanes = 1782.0 MBit/s (dsi-clock: 222.75)
> > >
> > > But the ratio is different and therefore the faster clocking option
> > > let something 'overflow'.
> >
> > I'll agree that all looks consistent.
> >
> > > Anyway, but all this means that Adam should configure the
> > > burst-clock-rate to 445.5 and set the lanes to 4. But this doesn't work
> > > either and now we are back on my initial statement -> the driver needs
> > > some attention.
> >
> > Things always need attention :-)
>
> ^^
>
> > I suspect that it's the use of the timing generator that is the issue.
> > The programming guide does recommend using it for all modes, so that
> > would be a sensible first step.
>
> But I tested it without the timing-generator too. Can you or Adam verify
> the timing-generator diable logic?

The internal timing generator is enabled by setting bit 7 of register 27.

After the timings bits are set, the generator must be reset by
toggling bit 6. Bits [5:0] must be 001011b

So going between CB and 8B does this task. From what I can tell, this
code is correct.

The NXP kernel which appears to sync at a few additional resolutions
appears to do this as well.

> > I will say that we had a number of issues getting this chip to do
> > anything, and it generally seemed happier on 2 or 3 lanes instead of
> > 4. Suffice to say that we abandoned trying to use it, despite some
> > assistance from ADI.

Ideally, I'd like to experiment with 2-lane as well. Part of me
wonders if this could be dynamic to help further adjust timings. When
I try to get clock settings for slower rates, it seems like the clock
generation is off.

adam

> Even more interessting, what is your alternative to this chip?
>
> Regards,
> Marco

  Last update: 2022-08-04 15:13    [W:0.119 / U:2.044 seconds]