SubjectRe: OpenWrt / MIPS benchmark with MGLRU
On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 10:17 PM Yu Zhao <yuzhao@google.com> wrote:

> TLDR
> ====
> RAM utilization Throughput (95% CI) P99 Latency (95% CI)
> ~90% NS NS
> ~110% +[12, 16]% -[20, 22]%
>
> Abbreviations
> =============
> CI: confidence interval
> NS: no statistically significant difference
> DUT: device under test
> ATE: automatic test equipment
>
> Rational
> ========
> 1. OpenWrt is the most popular distro for WiFi routers; many of its
> targets use big endianness [1].
> 2. 4 out of the top 5 bestselling WiFi routers in the US use MIPS [2];
> MIPS uses software-managed TLB.
> 3. Memcached is the best available memory benchmark on OpenWrt;
> admittedly such a use case is very limited in the real world.

Thanks.

My goal is to encourage MM people to extend their test coverage to
some commonly used but less tested configurations. I carefully
constructed this benchmark with the balance between its
representativeness and the effort to reproduce.

When I wear my MM hat, I see ER-8 as the ideal choice because it comes
with a serial port, a replaceable memory DIMM and one of the two cores
that can be disabled. The same SoC is also what the Debian MIPS port
mainly uses for their testing [1]. So if I need help, I might be able
to get it from them.

From OpenWrt's / MIPS OEMs' POVs, I do see ER-8 as an uninteresting
platform. Currently the best selling WiFi router on Amazon US is
Archer A7, a knockoff of Archer C7. The latter comes with not only the
serial port header but also the JTAG header, and that's what I use.
But I seriously doubt showing how I work on C7 would encourage MM
people to try it. I snapped a pictures of it during lunch:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rYBwLOyMqBSr6WKUZd7Gbf9RfwA641X5/
And other boards I routinely test the MM performance on:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yBMx9OPWw-5czvz3maNUy6WBFwPvAqG5/
All the way dates back to this vintage:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12N21qiWSoyJgZwVkwAhY8_5Fj4dKftqD/

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/MIPSPort

  Last update: 2022-09-01 00:20    [W:0.191 / U:0.776 seconds]