SubjectRe: PKU usage improvements for threads

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022, at 1:51 AM, Stephen Röttger wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 8:24 PM Andy Lutomirski <luto@kernel.org> wrote:

>> > Yeah, that's something for which our defenses are quite weak. But, it
>> > also calls for a very generic mm/ solution and not something specific at
>> > all to pkeys.
>
> We were also thinking about if this should be a more generic feature instead of
> being tied to pkeys. I.e. the doc above has an alternative proposal to introduce
> something like a memory seal/unseal syscall.
> I was personally leaning towards using pkeys for this for a few reasons:
> * intuitively it would make sense to me to extend PKEY_DISABLE_ACCESS
> to also mean disable all changes to the memory, not just the data.
> * We couldn't come up with another use case for the more generic API that
> doesn't include pkeys.
> * Fewer syscalls for our use case, since we already set the pkey on the mappings
> we want to become immutable.
> That being said, either approach works for us.
>
>> > The concept would make a good lightning talk at Plumbers of LSF/MM.
>>
>> This kind of thing seems questionable to me. If the attacker controls syscall arguments, they can do almost anything. ISTM a CFI scheme should aim to prevent that bogus call in the first place, e.g. by preventing a problematic call.

What I'm trying to say is: CFI, by itself, can protect syscalls by making sure that callers are safe. So, for example, if all munmap() callers do:

if (addr is dangerous)
abort();
else
munmap();

Then, with CFI, an attacker can't get to the actual munmap without first doing the dangerous check. And you can implement this entirely in user code.

With syscall user dispatch (this thing: https://lwn.net/Articles/828510/ -- sorry, I meant that when I typed interception), you even have a way to intercept *all* munmap() calls, for example.

Regardless, I think it would be reasonable to have a nice way to create a sigaltstack and make it harder for the stack and the associated code to get corrupted. I"m not sure that pkeys are the right solution, but a nice coherent package that makes it difficult to accidentally change what happens when a specific signal is delivered could be quite powerful.

> I'm not sure that CFI can solve this problem since the attacker
> doesn't change the
> control flow in this attack. We will definitely have to ensure that
> certain syscall
> arguments can't be controlled by the attacker, e.g. if the protection
> bits of an mmap
> syscall are ever spilled to the stack, that would be one way to bypass
> the mitigation
> and we have to ensure in userspace that this doesn't happen.
> However, this seems infeasible for common syscalls like munmap. If any thread
> wants to unmap a page, it's likely that the data for that came from a
> place that the
> attacker might have corrupted.

>> Which makes me think that the actual solution is to have syscall interception support changing PKRU, perhaps via sigaltstack.
>
> Can you expand on this? I didn't really understand what you meant.

>> > That doesn't seem like it would be too much of a stretch. There's a
>> > delicate point when building the stack frame that the kernel would need
>> > to move over to the new PKRU value to build the frame before it writes
>> > the *OLD* value to the frame. But, it's far from impossible.
>> >
>> > I also bet we could do this with minimal new ABI. There's already a
>> > ->ss_flags field. We could assign a flag to mean that stack_t doesn't
>> > end at '->ss_size' and that there's a pkey value *after* ss_size. I do
>> > think having a single pkey that is made accessible before signal entry
>> > is a more flexible ABI than taking an explicit PKRU value.
>> >
>> > I think that would allow just reusing sys_sigaltstack().
>>
>> sys_sigaltstack() is already pretty much useless with SHSTK, and it’s kinda busted with AVX512. How about we just add a whole new non-kludgy API?
>
> Attachments:
> * smime.p7s

  Last update: 2022-08-24 18:48    [W:0.109 / U:0.052 seconds]