SubjectRe: [RFC 0/2] Stop the abuse of Linux-* _OSI strings
From
On 8/19/2022 11:37, Karol Herbst wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 6:00 PM Limonciello, Mario
> <mario.limonciello@amd.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 8/19/2022 10:44, Karol Herbst wrote:

>>> Nouveau always supported RTD3, because that's mainly a kernel feature.
>>> When those were introduced we simply had a bug only hit on a few
>>> systems. And instead of helping us to debug this, this workaround was
>>> added :( We were not even asked about this.
>>
>> My apologies, I was certainly part of the impetus for this W/A in the
>> first place while I was at my previous employer. Your comment
>> re-affirms to me that at least the first patch is correct.
>>

> Yeah, no worries. I just hope that people in the future will
> communicate such things.
>
> Anyway, there are a few issues with the runpm stuff left, and looking
> at what nvidia does in their open driver makes me wonder if we might
> need a bigger overhaul of runpm. They do apply bridge/host controller
> specific workarounds and I suspect some of them are related here as
> the workaround I came up with in nouveau can be seen in 434fdb51513bf.

But this overhaul shouldn't gate removing this _OSI string, or you think
it should?

> But also having access to documentation/specification from what Nvidia
> is doing would be quite helpful. We know that on some really new AMD
> systems we run into new issues and this needs some investigation. I
> simply don't access to any laptops where this problem can be seen.

Do you mean there are specifically remaining issues on AMD APU + NVIDIA
dGPU systems? Any public bugs by chance?

Depending on what these are I'm happy to try to help with at least
access. If we have them maybe we can try to make the right connections
to get some hardware to you, or at least remotely access it.

>>> I am a bit curious about the other two though as I am not even sure
>>> they are needed at all as we put other work arounds in place. @Lyude
>>> Paul might know more about these.
>>>

>> If the other two really aren't needed anymore, then yeah we should just
>> tear all 3 out. If that's the direction we go, I would appreciate some
>> commit IDs to reference in the commit message for tearing them out so
>> that if they end up backporting to stable we know how far they should go.

  Last update: 2022-08-19 19:27    [W:0.052 / U:1.732 seconds]