SubjectRe: [RESEND] Please consider name next Linux release "I love Linux" (Re: Linux 5.19)
On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 11:28:12AM +0800, Huacai Chen wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 10:40 AM Baoquan He <bhe@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Boyang,
> >
> > On 08/11/22 at 10:02pm, Zhang Boyang wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Could you please consider name the next Linux release (5.20 or 6.0) "I love
> > > linux" ? The number "5.20" is a wordplay in Chinese, which means "I love
> > > you" [1], thus "Linux 5.20" can be read as "I love Linux" in Chinese.
> > >
> > > Even if next kernel version is 6.0, I think it's probably a good idea for
> > > both Chinese-speakers and non-Chinese speakers to express our love to Linux
> > > Kernel.
> >
> > Interesting idea, LOL.
> >
> > Yes, 520 means 'I love you' in chinese since it has the similar pronunciation
> > with '我爱你'. I even don't remember since when May 20th becomes another
> > holiday similar to Valentine's day in China. While I have complicated feeling
> > about 520. It means on each May 20th, I also need prepare gift for my wife. I
> > am not a romantic person, preparing gift to lover is always a torture to me.
> > So almost each May 20th day, Valentine's day, double seventh festival which is
> > a traditional Valentine's day, I will become nervous, and it ends up
> > with a satisfactory gift, or a bunch of flower and a digital red envelope with
> > 520¥ and then complainment and blame in next two weeks.
> >
> > So, for naming next release as '5.20', I will vote for it w/o hesitance. No need
> > to prepare gift, and can express our love to Linux kernel, it sounds
> > awesome.
> >
> > Meanwhile, I would remind people to take it easy. Whether the suggestion
> > is accepted or not, it doesn't impact the fact that linux may have
> > become part of our life, not just our work, considering many kernel developers
> > are workoing form home. But if you have boasted to your girlfriend
> > or wife, and want to take this as a gift to her, you should try harder to
> > convince Linus.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Baoquan
> Frankly, I agree with Boyang and Baoquan. :)

+1, I'm fine with either approach. If there is a 5.20 version, that is
fine.

The traditional Valentine's day of China is `Qixi Festival` which is the seventh
day of the seventh lunisolar month on the Chinese lunisolar calendar [1].

There are also other somewhat special days in China such as `Programmer day`
(Oct, 24 each year), yet I'm not sure if anyone out of China heard of it.

Personally I think 521 (yi vs ni) sounds more similar to "我爱你" in Mandarin
Chinese and who knows how many special days for couples -- since I'm single. ;)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qixi_Festival

Thanks,
Gao Xiang

> Huacai
> >

> > > The name of Linux kernel release has a long history of play-on-words [2].
> > > For example, 5.15 is named "Trick or Treat" and 5.17 is named "Superb Owl".
> > >
> > > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Internet_slang
> > >
> > > [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel_version_history
> > >
> > > Thanks and regards,
> > > Zhang Boyang

  Last update: 2022-08-12 08:32    [W:0.085 / U:0.208 seconds]