SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] VFIO updates for v6.0-rc1 (part 2)
On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 2:36 PM Alex Williamson
<alex.williamson@redhat.com> wrote:

> - Rename vfio source file to more easily allow additional source
> files in the upcoming development cycles (Jason Gunthorpe)

> Jason Gunthorpe (1):
> vfio: Move vfio.c to vfio_main.c
>
> drivers/vfio/Makefile | 2 ++
> drivers/vfio/{vfio.c => vfio_main.c} | 0

Guys, why do you do this ludicrously redundant file naming?

The directory is called "vfio".

Why is every file in it called "vfio_xyzzy.c"?

This is a bad pattern, and I don't understand why you do this and
continue to just make it worse.

We don't have "drivers/block/block_floppy.c".

We don't have "kernel/kernel_exit.c".

And then when somebody finally points out that "vfio/vfio.c" is kind
of silly and bad naming practice because it doesn't say what the file
is all about, instead of realizing what the problem is, you just
continue the same broken pattern.

Is vfio the only subsystem that does this? No. We have the same odd
pattern in "drivers/leds/leds-xyzzy.c" and a few other subsystems, and
I don't understand it there either.

I don't care that much, because I never touch those files, but if I
did, I would have complained long ago about how auto-complete of
filenames is broken because of that silly non-unique and pointless
prefix that is just repeated mindlessly over and over again.

So I've pulled this, since hey, "maintainer preference" and me not
really having a lot of reason to *care*, but when I get this kind of
pure rename pull request, I just have to pipe up about how silly and
pointless the new name seems to be.

Am I the only one that just uses auto-complete for everything when I'm
off editing files in a terminal?

And if you don't use autocomplete, and actually type things out fully,
doesn't that double redundant 'vtio' bother you even *more*?

I'm just confused and wondering about this all, since it seems so *odd*.

It's like people have entirely missed what the point of using
directories to give you a hierarchy of things is all about..

Linus

  Last update: 2022-08-12 18:36    [W:0.785 / U:0.144 seconds]