SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Btrfs updates for 5.20
From

On 2022/8/2 00:40, David Sterba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this update brings some long awaited changes, the send protocol bump,
> otherwise lots of small improvements and fixes. The main core part is
> reworking bio handling, cleaning up the submission and endio and
> improving error handling.
>
> There are some non-btrfs patches adding helpers or updating API,
> listed at the end of the changelog.
>
> Please pull, thanks.
>
> Features:
>
> - sysfs:
> - export chunk size, in debug mode add tunable for setting its size
> - show zoned among features (was only in debug mode)
> - show commit stats (number, last/max/total duration)
>
> - send protocol updated to 2
> - new commands:
> - ability write larger data chunks than 64K
> - send raw compressed extents (uses the encoded data ioctls), ie. no
> decompression on send side, no compression needed on receive side
> if supported
> - send 'otime' (inode creation time) among other timestamps
> - send file attributes (a.k.a file flags and xflags)
> - this is first version bump, backward compatibility on send and
> receive side is provided
> - there are still some known and wanted commands that will be
> implemented in the near future, another version bump will be needed,
> however we want to minimize that to avoid causing usability issues
>
> - print checksum type and implementation at mount time
>
> - don't print some messages at mount (mentioned as people asked about
> it), we want to print messages namely for new features so let's make
> some space for that
> - big metadata - this has been supported for a long time and is not a
> feature that's worth mentioning
> - skinny metadata - same reason, set by default by mkfs
>
> Performance improvements:
>
> - reduced amount of reserved metadata for delayed items
> - when inserted items can be batched into one leaf
> - when deleting batched directory index items
> - when deleting delayed items used for deletion
> - overall improved count of files/sec, decreased subvolume lock
> contention
>
> - metadata item access bounds checker micro-optimized, with a few
> percent of improved runtime for metadata-heavy operations
>
> - increase direct io limit for read to 256 sectors, improved throughput
> by 3x on sample workload
>
> Notable fixes:
>
> - raid56
> - reduce parity writes, skip sectors of stripe when there are no data
> updates
> - restore reading from stripe cache instead of triggering new read

Small typo I guess.
It's the opposite, restore reading from on-disk data instead of using
stripe cache.

In fact, these two modification mostly makes btrfs/125 and other
recovery related scenarios (greatly reduce the chance of destructive RMW).

In fact, these two may be way more important than write-intent/full-journal.

Thanks,
Qu

> [...]
> btrfs: remove parameter dev_extent_len from scrub_stripe()
> btrfs: use btrfs_chunk_max_errors() to replace tolerance calculation
> btrfs: use btrfs_raid_array to calculate number of parity stripes
> btrfs: use ncopies from btrfs_raid_array in btrfs_num_copies()
> btrfs: use named constant for reserved device space
> btrfs: warn about dev extents that are inside the reserved range
> btrfs: raid56: don't trust any cached sector in __raid56_parity_recover()
> btrfs: output mirror number for bad metadata
> btrfs: return proper mapped length for RAID56 profiles in __btrfs_map_block()
>
> Stefan Roesch (3):
> btrfs: store chunk size in space-info struct
> btrfs: sysfs: export chunk size in space infos
> btrfs: sysfs: add force_chunk_alloc trigger to force allocation
>
> arch/parisc/include/asm/cacheflush.h | 6 +-
> arch/parisc/kernel/cache.c | 2 +-
> fs/btrfs/async-thread.h | 1 -
> fs/btrfs/backref.c | 88 ++--
> fs/btrfs/backref.h | 3 +-
> fs/btrfs/block-group.c | 34 +-
> fs/btrfs/block-rsv.c | 21 +-
> fs/btrfs/block-rsv.h | 15 +-
> fs/btrfs/btrfs_inode.h | 25 +-
> fs/btrfs/compression.c | 359 ++++----------
> fs/btrfs/compression.h | 18 +-
> fs/btrfs/ctree.h | 105 ++++-
> fs/btrfs/delalloc-space.c | 6 +-
> fs/btrfs/delayed-inode.c | 395 +++++++++++-----
> fs/btrfs/delayed-inode.h | 11 +
> fs/btrfs/delayed-ref.c | 4 +-
> fs/btrfs/dev-replace.c | 3 +-
> fs/btrfs/disk-io.c | 268 ++++-------
> fs/btrfs/disk-io.h | 17 +-
> fs/btrfs/extent-tree.c | 149 +++---
> fs/btrfs/extent_io.c | 873 ++++++++++++++++-------------------
> fs/btrfs/extent_io.h | 15 +-
> fs/btrfs/file.c | 29 +-
> fs/btrfs/free-space-cache.c | 3 +-
> fs/btrfs/inode.c | 764 +++++++++++++++---------------
> fs/btrfs/ioctl.c | 150 +++---
> fs/btrfs/lzo.c | 28 +-
> fs/btrfs/ordered-data.c | 40 +-
> fs/btrfs/ordered-data.h | 5 +-
> fs/btrfs/raid56.c | 792 +++++++++++++++----------------
> fs/btrfs/raid56.h | 168 ++++++-
> fs/btrfs/reflink.c | 19 +-
> fs/btrfs/scrub.c | 71 ++-
> fs/btrfs/send.c | 781 +++++++++++++++++++++----------
> fs/btrfs/send.h | 169 ++++---
> fs/btrfs/space-info.c | 110 ++++-
> fs/btrfs/space-info.h | 8 +-
> fs/btrfs/struct-funcs.c | 11 +-
> fs/btrfs/subpage.c | 4 +-
> fs/btrfs/super.c | 36 +-
> fs/btrfs/sysfs.c | 186 +++++++-
> fs/btrfs/tests/btrfs-tests.c | 1 +
> fs/btrfs/tests/extent-buffer-tests.c | 3 +-
> fs/btrfs/transaction.c | 26 +-
> fs/btrfs/tree-log.c | 29 +-
> fs/btrfs/tree-log.h | 3 +
> fs/btrfs/volumes.c | 362 +++++++--------
> fs/btrfs/volumes.h | 46 +-
> fs/btrfs/zlib.c | 42 +-
> fs/btrfs/zoned.c | 131 +++++-
> fs/btrfs/zoned.h | 18 +
> fs/btrfs/zstd.c | 33 +-
> include/linux/blkdev.h | 5 +
> include/linux/highmem-internal.h | 10 +-
> include/trace/events/btrfs.h | 158 +++++++

  Last update: 2022-08-02 03:11    [W:0.063 / U:0.876 seconds]