SubjectRe: [RFC] libubd: library for ubd(userspace block driver based on io_uring passthrough)
On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 05:29:07PM +0800, Ziyang Zhang wrote:
> On 2022/6/30 17:09, Ming Lei wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 03:16:21PM +0800, Ziyang Zhang wrote:
> >> Hi, Ming

> >> ubdlib_complete_io_request() can be called in the io worker thread,
> >> not in the ubdsrv queue thread(with the io_uring context for handling uring_cmd).
> >>
> >> You can find ubd_runner.c in my libubd repo. There are many io worker
> >> threads for each ubdsrv queue to handle IO requests.
> >>
> >> Actually this idea comes from tcmu-runner. The data flow is:
> >>
> >> 1) in ubdsrv queue thread, io_uring_enter(): returns(IO reqs received from blk-mq)
> >>
> >> 2) in ubdsrv queue thread, ubdsrv_reap_requests(): iterate on each cqe(with an IO req),
> >>
> >> for READ/WRITE requests, ubd_aio_queue_io() to enqueue the IO req into a io_queue
> >> (each ubdsrv queue has one io_queue). This IO req's status is IO_HANDLING_ASYNC.
> >>
> >> for other simple(can be handled very quickly),
> >> handle it right now and call ubdlib_complete_io_request()
> >>
> >> 3) in ubdsrv queue thread, ubdsrv_commit_and_fetch(): iterate on all IO slots per ubdsrv queue
> >> and setup sqe if one IO(IO completion) is ready to commit.
> >>
> >> Here, some IO slots are still IO_HANDLING_ASYNC so no sqe is generated for them.
> >>

> >> 4) in ubdsrv queue thread, io_uring_enter(): submit all sqes and wait for cqes
> >> (io_uring_enter() will return after at least one IO req is received from blk-mq)
> >>
> >> 5) When 3) or 4) happens, at the same time in ubdsrv queue IO worker threads:
> >> each io worker thread try to deque and handle one IO req from io_queue per ubdsrv queue.
> >>
> >> After the IO worker handles the IO req(WRITE/READ), it calls ubdlib_complete_io_request()
> >> This function can mark this IO req's status to ready to commit.
> >>
> >> IO handling/completion and io_uring_enter() can happen at the same time.
> >>
> >> Besides, io_uring_enter can:
> >>
> >> 1) block and wait for cqes until at least
> >> one blk-mq req comes from queue_rq()
> >>
> >> 2) submit sqes(with last IO completion and next fetch)
> >>
> >> so I have to consider how to notify io_uring about io completion
> >> after io_uring_enter() is slept(block and wait for cqes).
> >
> > Yeah, that was exactly my question, :-)
> >

> >> In current version of ubd_runner(an async libubd target), I try to use an "unblock"
> >> io_uring_enter_timeout() and caller can set a timeout value for it.
> >> So IO completions happen after io_uring_enter_timeout() call can be committed
> >> by next io_uring_enter_timeout() call...
> >>
> >> But this is a very ugly implementation
> >> because I may waste CPU on useless loops in ubdsrv queue thread if
> >> blk-mq reqs do not income frequently.
> >>
> >> You mentioned that eventfd may be helpful and I agree with you. :)
> >> I can register an eventfd in io_uring after ubd_aio_queue_io() and write the eventfd
> >> in ubdlib_complete_io_request().
> >>
> >> I will fix my code.
> >
> > FYI, there is one example about using eventfd to wakeup io_uring, which
> > can be added to the library for your usecase:
> >
> > https://gist.github.com/1Jo1/6496d1b8b6b363c301271340e2eab95b
>
> Thanks, will take a view.

> >> Ok, thanks for explanation.

> [...]

Both the two are not hard to do, and turns out that making libubdsrv is actually
one big cleanup.

All these works[1] are basically done:

1) libublksrv
- built .so and .a are under lib/
- exported header file is include/ublksrv.h
- so any other application can make ublk device against this library
- eventfd notification is added too, so io handling doesn't have to
be done via io_uring, one callback of ->handle_event(), and two APIs
are added for this support

2) ublk/ubd utility
- built against libublksrv, meantime it uses the private header of the
library too, which is fine, since the two are in same project

3) two examples
- demo_null.c: one < 200 LOC standalone example to show how to make
a ubd/null block device against libublksrv

- demo_event.c: one simple standalone example(~300LOC) to make one ublk
disk by handling io via another pthread(not by io_uring) against
libublksrv

Any comments/feedback/tests are welcome.

[1] libublk
https://github.com/ming1/ubdsrv/tree/libublk

Thanks,
Ming

  Last update: 2022-07-04 06:09    [W:0.119 / U:0.188 seconds]