    SubjectRe: Why set .suppress_bind_attrs even though .remove() implemented?
    On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 03:26:44PM +0200, Johan Hovold wrote:
    > On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 05:21:22PM -0500, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

    > > qcom is a DWC driver, so all the IRQ stuff happens in
    > > dw_pcie_host_init(). qcom_pcie_remove() does call
    > > dw_pcie_host_deinit(), which calls irq_domain_remove(), but nobody
    > > calls irq_dispose_mapping().
    > >
    > > I'm thoroughly confused by all this. But I suspect that maybe I
    > > should drop the "make qcom modular" patch because it seems susceptible
    > > to this problem:
    > >
    > > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/helgaas/pci.git/commit/?h=pci/ctrl/qcom&id=41b68c2d097e
    >
    > That should not be necessary.
    >
    > As you note above, interrupt handling is implemented in dwc core so if
    > there are any issue here at all, which I doubt, then all of the dwc
    > drivers that currently can be built as modules would all be broken and
    > this would need to be fixed in core.

    I don't know yet whether there's an issue. We need a clear argument
    for why there is or is not. The fact that others might be broken is
    not an argument for breaking another one ;)

    > I've been using the modular pcie-qcom patch for months now, unloading
    > and reloading the driver repeatedly to test power sequencing, without
    > noticing any problems whatsoever.

    Pali's commit log suggests that unloading the module is not, by
    itself, enough to trigger the problem:

    https://lore.kernel.org/linux-pci/20220709161858.15031-1-pali@kernel.org/

    Can you test the scenario he mentions?

    Bjorn

      Last update: 2022-07-22 16:39    [W:2.414 / U:0.404 seconds]