SubjectRe: [patch 00/38] x86/retbleed: Call depth tracking mitigation
Date
On Mon, Jul 18 2022 at 15:48, Sami Tolvanen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 2:18 PM Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 10:44:14PM +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>> > And we need input from the Clang folks because their CFI work also puts
>> > stuff in front of the function entry, which nicely collides.
>>
>> Right, I need to go look at the latest kCFI patches, that sorta got
>> side-tracked for working on all the retbleed muck :/
>>
>> Basically kCFI wants to preface every (indirect callable) function with:
>>
>> __cfi_\func:
>> int3
>> movl $0x12345678, %rax
>> int3
>> int3
>> \func:
>
> Yes, and in order to avoid scattering the code with call target
> gadgets, the preamble should remain immediately before the function.
>
>> Ofc, we can still put the whole:
>>
>> sarq $5, PER_CPU_VAR(__x86_call_depth);
>> jmp \func_direct
>>
>> thing in front of that.
>
> Sure, that would work.
>
>> But it does somewhat destroy the version I had that only needs the
>> 10 bytes padding for the sarq.
>
> There's also the question of how function alignment should work in the
> KCFI case. Currently, the __cfi_ preamble is 16-byte aligned, which
> obviously means the function itself isn't.

That's bad. The function entry should be 16 byte aligned and as I just
learned for AMD the ideal alignment would be possibly 32 byte as that's
their I-fetch width. But my experiments with 16 bytes alignment
independent of the padding muck is benefitial for both AMD and Intel
over the 4 byte alignment we have right now.

This really needs a lot of thought and performance analysis before we
commit to anything here. Peter's an my investigations have shown how
sensitive this is.

We can't just add stuff without taking the whole picture into account
(independent of the proposed padding muck).

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2022-07-19 01:00    [W:0.256 / U:0.336 seconds]