SubjectRe: Build warnings in Xen 5.15.y and 5.10.y with retbleed backports
Date
Hi,

I see a patch for this has been queued up for 5.10 already ([1]), I'm
just sharing my findings in support of this patch here -- it doesn't
merely exchange one warning for another, but fixes a real issue and
should perhaps get applied to other stable branches as well.

TL;DR: for this particular warning, objtool would exit early and fail to
create any .orc_unwind* ELF sections for head_64.o, which are consumed
by the ORC unwinder at runtime.

Boris Ostrovsky <boris.ostrovsky@oracle.com> writes:

> On 7/12/22 3:31 PM, Greg KH wrote:

The reason for this is that with RET being multibyte, it can cross those
"xen_hypecall_*" symbol boundaries, because ...

... the "31" is no longer correct, ...

... as with RET occupying more than one byte, the resulting hypercall
entry's total size won't add up to 32 anymore.

Note that those xen_hypercall_* symbols' values are getting statically
calculated as 'hypercall page + n * 32' in the HYPERCALL() #define from
xen-head.S. So there's a mismatch and with RET == 'ret; int3', the
resulting .text effectively becomes

101e: 90 nop
101f: c3 ret

0000000000001020 <xen_hypercall_mmu_update>:
1020: cc int3
1021: 90 nop
1022: 90 nop

This is probably already not what has been intended, but because 'ret'
and 'int3' both are single-byte encoded, objtool would still be able to
find at least some "starting instruction" at this point.

But with RET == 'jmp __x86_return_thunk', it becomes

101e: 90 nop
101f: e9 .byte 0xe9

0000000000001020 <xen_hypercall_mmu_update>:
1020: 00 00 add %al,(%rax)
1022: 00 00 add %al,(%rax)
1024: 90 nop

Here the 'e9 00 00 00 00' jmp crosses the symbol boundary and objtool
errors out.

>>> It doesn't matter --- this is overwritten by the hypervisor during
>>> initialization when Xen fills in actual hypercall code.

It does makes a difference though: even though objtool reports only a
warning, it still exits early in this particular case and won't create
any of the .orc_unwind* or .return_sites sections for head_64.o as it's
supposed to.

The significance of not having .orc_unwind* for head_64.o is that the
reliable stacktracing implementation would mark the swapper tasks'
stacktraces as unreliable at runtime, because the ORC unwinder would
fail to recognize their final secondary_startup_64() from head_64.o as
being the end. Note that livepatching relies on reliable stacktraces
when transitioning tasks.

>>> So f4b4bc10b0b85ec66f1a9bf5dddf475e6695b6d2 added 'ret' to make objtool happy and then 14b476e07fab6 replaced 'ret' with RET as part of SLS fixes. The latter was not really necessary but harmless.
>>>

>>> So it can be 'ret', RET, or anything else that tools don't complain about. It will not be executed.
>> Cool, thanks.
>> But what about the objtool warning that I now see? Is that "real"?
>

> It's not real in the sense that the code there is not real, it will be overwritten. (Originally the whole page was 'nop's)
>

> I am getting a different error BTW:
>
> arch/x86/kernel/head_64.o: warning: objtool: .text+0x5: unreachable instruction

I think this one is (mostly?) harmless, at least as as far as the
.orc_unwind* generation is concerned. Josh would know more.

Thanks,

Nicolai

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/r/Ys+8ZYxkDmSCcDWv@kroah.com

--
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Frankenstraße 146, 90461 Nürnberg, Germany
GF: Ivo Totev, Andrew Myers, Andrew McDonald, Boudien Moerman

  Last update: 2022-07-16 18:36    [W:0.743 / U:0.308 seconds]