SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] nfsd changes for 5.18
On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 10:27:46AM +0200, Igor Mammedov wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2022 14:19:41 -0400
> Bruce Fields <bfields@fieldses.org> wrote:

> > > Cephfs allows this. My thinking at the time that I implemented it was
> > > that it should be settable for backup purposes, but this was possibly a
> > > mistake. On most filesystems, the btime seems to be equivalent to inode
> > > creation time and is read-only.
> >
> > So supporting it as read-only seems reasonable.
> >
> > Clearly, failing to decode the setattr attempt isn't the right way to do
> > that. I'm not sure what exactly it should be doing--some kind of
> > permission error on any setattr containing TIME_CREATE?
>
> erroring out on TIME_CREATE will break client that try to
> set this attribute (legitimately). That's what by chance
> happening with current master (return error when TIME_CREATE
> is present).

Hang on, now--our current server completely fails to decode any RPC
including a SETATTR that attempts to set TIME_CREATE, which means it
isn't able to return a useful error or tell the client which attribute
was the problem.

It's not too surprising that that would cause a problem for a client.

But failures to set supported attributes are completely normal, and if
mounts are failing completely because of that, something is really very
wrong with the client.

Could you first retest with a server that's patched to at least decode
the attribute correctly? I suspect that may be enough. If not, then
the client in question has a more interesting problem on its hands.

--b.

  Last update: 2022-07-12 13:42    [W:0.095 / U:0.228 seconds]