SubjectRe: [Bug Report] - kselftest build fails if output directory is first level sub-directory
On 5/22/22 11:15 AM, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 3:44 PM Muhammad Usama Anjum
> <usama.anjum@collabora.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> kselftest can be built using the kernel's top most Makefile without
>> using kselftest's Makefile directly. But there is bug in the top most
>> Makefile. The build fails if the specified output directory is first
>> level sub-directory. Here is a example to reproduce this bug:
>>
>> make kselftest-all O=build
>>
>> "The Make is working in a wrong directory, that is why the relative path
>> does not work." Masahiro Yamada. Feel free to fix it if someone pin the bug.
>>
>> It should be noted that the build works in some other combinations:
>> make kselftest-all (works)
>> make kselftest-all O=/tmp (works)
>> make kselftest-all O=build/build2 (works)
>>
>> My unsuccessful attempt to fix this bug can be found here:
>> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20220223191016.1658728-1-usama.anjum@collabora.com/
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Muhammad Usama Anjum
>

> This problem starts from the bad design of the kselftest framework.
> I did some research before. I think I can fix the root cause but
> currently I do not have enough time to do it.
>

> KBUILD_ABS_SRCTREE is a user-interface to request
> Kbuild to use the absolute path.
> If it is forced in the top Makefile, users have no way to
> negate it.
> It is true that using the absolute path is a quick work-around
> because you do not need to care about the current working directory.
>
> If you insist on it, just go ahead. It is just two line changes.
> Once the issue is fixed in a better way, your patch can be reverted easily.

Why don't we work on fixing it the wright way? I would rather go that
route than using short rem fixes.

Usama, would you be interested in working on a proper fix as recommended
by Masahiro?

thanks,
-- Shuah

  Last update: 2022-06-08 04:50    [W:0.690 / U:0.632 seconds]