SubjectRe: Discussion on race between freed page_ext access and memory offline operation
On 27.06.22 18:09, Charan Teja Kalla wrote:
> The below race between page_ext and online/offline of the respective
> memory blocks will cause use-after-free on the access of page_ext structure.
>
> process1 process2
> --------- ---------
> a)doing /proc/page_owner doing memory offline
> through offline_pages
>
> b)PageBuddy check is failed
> thus proceed to get the
> page_owner information
> through page_ext access.
> page_ext = lookup_page_ext(page);
>
> migrate_pages();
> Since all pages are successfully
> migrated as part of the offline
> operation,send MEM_OFFLINE notification
> where for page_ext it calls:
> offline_page_ext()-->
> __free_page_ext()-->
> free_page_ext()-->
> vfree(ms->page_ext)
> mem_section->page_ext = NULL
>
> c) Check for the PAGE_EXT flags
> in the page_ext->flags access
> results into the use-after-free(leading
> to the translation faults).
>
> As mentioned above, there is really no synchronization between page_ext
> access and its freeing in the memory_offline. The above is just one
> example but the problem persists in the other paths too involving
> page_ext->flags access(eg: page_is_idle()).
>
> The memory offline steps(roughly) on a memory block is as below:
> 1) Isolate all the pages
> 2) while(1)
> try free the pages to buddy.(->free_list[MIGRATE_ISOLATE])
> 3) delete the pages from this buddy list.
> 4) Then free page_ext.(Note: The struct page is still alive as it is
> freed only during hot remove of the memory which frees the memmap, which
> steps the user might not perform).
>
> This design leads to the state where struct page is alive but the struct
> page_ext is freed, where the later is ideally part of the former which
> just representing the page_flags. This seems to be a wrong design where
> 'struct page' as a whole is not accessible(Thanks to Minchan for
> pointing this out).

Accessing the struct page -- including any extensions -- is invalid if
the memory section is marked offline.

Usual PFN walkers use pfn_to_online_page() to make sure we have PFN with
an actual meaning in it.

There is no real synchronization between pfn_to_online_page() and memory
offline code. For now it wasn't required because it was never relevant
in practice.

After pfn_to_online_page() it takes quite a long time until memory is
actually offlined and then, the memmap is removed. Maybe it's different
for page_ext.

It smells like page_ext should use some mechanism during MEM_OFFLINE to
synchronize against any users of its metadata. Generic memory offlining
code might be the wrong place for that.

> Some solutions we think are:
> ----------------------------
> 1) Take the mem_hotplug_lock read_lock every time page_ext access.

That would be the big hammer. But it feels wrong, because page_ext is
another subsystem that's synchronized from generic memory offlining code
via the notifier.

> 2) Take the extra refcount on the page every time page_ext access is
> made, so that parallel offline operation can't free the page to buddy.

No, that's no good. Just racy.

> 3) Change the design where the page_ext is valid as long as the struct
> page is alive.

:/ Doesn't spark joy.

> Any other inputs here?

page_ext needs a mechanism to synchronize against any users of the data
it manages. Maybe RCU can help?

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb

  Last update: 2022-06-27 18:36    [W:0.036 / U:0.840 seconds]