SubjectRe: [net-next: PATCH 09/12] Documentation: ACPI: DSD: introduce DSA description
śr., 22 cze 2022 o 16:20 Andy Shevchenko
<andriy.shevchenko@linux.intel.com> napisał(a):

> > > More and more the idea of standardizing the MDIOSerialBus() resource looks
> > > plausible. The _ADR() usage is a bit grey area in ACPI specification. Maybe
> > > someone can also make it descriptive, so Microsoft and others won't utilize
> > > _ADR() in any level of weirdness.
> >
> > I don't know if it makes any difference, but there are two protocols
> > spoken over MDIO, c22 and c45, specified in clause 22 and clause 45 of
> > the 802.3 specification. In some conditions, you need to specify which
> > protocol to speak to a device at a particular address. In DT we
> > indicate this with the compatible string, when maybe it should really
> > be considered as an extension of the address.
> >
> > If somebody does produce a draft for MDIOSerialBus() i'm happy to
> > review it.
>
> I also can review it. Marcin, would it be hard for you to prepare a formal
> proposal for ACPI specification?

I've just consulted this to get an understanding of the process.
* I will initiate it with the code-first ECR using the linux-acpi
mailing list, where all the technical review will take place.
* At the same time a ticket and the formal process for this will be
triggered within UEFI Forum.
* Once everything gets approved, an official confirmation will be
provided and from that moment, it would allow us to proceed with
implementation without need of waiting months for another ACPI
Specification release.

Unless anyone objects, I will include this thread recipients to take
part in review of the proposed MDIOSerialBus _CRS resource macro
contents, so it contains all relevant information.

Note: Once this hopefully gets accepted one day and allow us proceed
with Linux handling, it should be easy to satisfy backward
compatibility with current users of MDIO+PHY in ACPI.

Best regards,
Marcin

  Last update: 2022-06-22 17:02    [W:0.115 / U:0.732 seconds]