    SubjectRe: Removal of qcom,board-id and qcom,msm-id
    From
    On 22/05/2022 22:51, Konrad Dybcio wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > removing these properties will not bring almost any benefit (other than making
    > some checks happy any saving some <200 LoC) and will make the lives of almost
    > all people doing independent development for linux-on-msm harder. There are
    > almost unironically like 3 people outside Linaro and QUIC who have
    > non-vendor-fused development boards AND the sources to rebuild the
    > bootloader on their own. Making it harder to boot is only going to
    > discourage people from developing on these devices, which is already not
    > that pleasant, especially with newer platforms where you have to fight with
    > the oh-so-bright ideas of Android boot chain..
    >
    > This only concerns devices released before sm8350, as the new ones will not
    > even boot with these properties present (or at least SONY Sagami, but I
    > doubt it's an isolated case), so other than completing support for older
    > devices, it won't be an issue going forward, anyway.

    I almost missed this part of the discussion (and Krzysztof had to point
    me to it in discussion of his patches).

    I think this is a Sony peculiarity. At least the distributed SM8350
    (lahaina) and SM8450 (waipio) Qualcomm device trees use these properties:

    https://github.com/MiCode/kernel_devicetree/blob/zeus-s-oss/qcom/lahaina-hdk.dts
    https://github.com/MiCode/kernel_devicetree/blob/zeus-s-oss/qcom/lahaina-v2.1.dtsi
    https://github.com/MiCode/kernel_devicetree/blob/zeus-s-oss/qcom/waipio-qrd-pm8010.dts
    https://github.com/MiCode/kernel_devicetree/blob/zeus-s-oss/qcom/waipio-v2.dtsi

    --
    With best wishes
    Dmitry

      Last update: 2022-06-22 10:22    [W:4.480 / U:0.408 seconds]