    SubjectRe: [mm/page_alloc] f26b3fa046: netperf.Throughput_Mbps -18.0% regression
    On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 03:53:34PM +0800, Aaron Lu wrote:
    > On 5/11/2022 3:32 PM, ying.huang@intel.com wrote:

    > >> I've run the tests on a 2 sockets Icelake server and a Skylake desktop.
    > >>
    > >> On this 2 sockets Icelake server(1.25MiB L2 = 320 pages, 48MiB LLC =
    > >> 12288 pages):
    > >>
    > >> pcp->high score
    > >>     0 100662 (bypass PCP, most page resue, most core-2-core transfer)
    > >>   320(L2) 117252
    > >>   640 133149
    > >>  6144(1/2 llc) 134674
    > >> 12416(>llc) 103193 (least page reuse)
    > >>
    > >> Setting pcp->high to 640(2 times L2 size) gives very good result, only
    > >> slightly lower than 6144(1/2 llc size). Bypassing PCP to get the most
    > >> cache reuse didn't deliver good performance, so I think Ying is right:
    > >> core-2-core really hurts.
    > >>
    > >> On this 4core/8cpu Skylake desktop(256KiB L2 = 64 pages, 8MiB LLC = 2048
    > >> pages):
    > >>
    > >>    0 86780 (bypass PCP, most page reuse, most core-2-core transfer)
    > >>   64(L2) 85813
    > >>  128 85521
    > >> 1024(1/2 llc) 85557
    > >> 2176(> llc) 74458 (least page reuse)
    > >>
    > >> Things are different on this small machine. Bypassing PCP gives the best
    > >> performance. I find it hard to explain this. Maybe the 256KiB is too
    > >> small that even bypassing PCP, the page still ends up being evicted from
    > >> L2 when allocator side reuses it? Or maybe core-2-core transfer is
    > >> fast on this small machine?
    > >
    > > 86780 / 85813 = 1.011
    > >
    > > So, there's almost no measurable difference among the configurations
    > > except the last one. I would rather say the test isn't sensitive to L2
    > > size, but sensitive to LLC size on this machine.
    > >

    > Well, if core-2-core transfer is bad for performance, I expect the
    > performance number of pcp->high=0 to be worse than pcp->high=64 and
    > pcp->high=128, not as good or even better, that's what I find hard to
    > explain.

    I've found some material that explained how cache transfer works:
    https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Moderncode-for-Parallel/Core-to-Core-Communication-Latency-in-Skylake-Kaby-Lake/m-p/1061668/highlight/true#M6893

    Also a paper on Cascade Lake's latency data(at the end of the paper):
    https://arxiv.org/pdf/2204.03290.pdf

    core-2-core transfer latency is usually at ~50ns while llc load latency
    is ~20ns on server machine, so if data ends up in llc, that would be
    faster to load for another core. I think this can explain the test result
    on Icelake server where using pcp->high > L2 delivers better result.
    Thanks to Ying to bring this up.

    The reason why using pcp->high=0 delivers best result on the desktop
    machine might be either due to its relative small L2 size such that even
    bypassing pcp, the page data may still ends up in llc; or desktop's
    core-2-core latency is not much worse than llc-2-core latency, so the
    more reuse, the better.

    Back to this regression itself, we think reuse cache is generally a good
    thing for performance. It's just that for this netperf/single_thread/udp
    test case running alone on this Icelake-SP test machine, default pcp->high
    makes data placement more friendly for cache transfer, i.e. more
    llc-to-core transfer than pcp->high=0. But in real production server,
    thing can be more complex and it's hard to say such an advantange can be
    kept there.

    At the very least, the bisected commit's worst case performance would be
    core-2-core latency, it's still better than loading latency from local
    dram, which is usually 80+ns. That's where we think reuse cache is
    generally a good thing, as long as the cache doesn't come from another
    socket's cache hierachy :-)

    So for this regression, I think we can keep the bisected commit as is.
    We know it can cause subpar result on some server machine when running
    a specific test case alone, but I think this commit should bring more
    benefit than harm in real production server. The other report on netperf
    using nr_task=25% that shows an improvement might be a hint on this.

      Last update: 2022-06-01 04:22    [W:5.229 / U:0.104 seconds]