SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] gfs2 fix
On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 8:32 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> [...]
> that was fixed by 00bfe02f4796 ("gfs2: Fix mmap + page fault deadlocks
> for buffered I/O").
>
> So now that I'm looking at the right function (maybe) I'm going "huh",
> because it's none of the complex cases that would seem to fail, it's
> literally just the fault_in_iov_iter_readable() that we've always done
> in iomap_write_iter() that presumably starts failing.
>
> But *that* old code seems bogus too. It's doing
>
> if (unlikely(fault_in_iov_iter_readable(i, bytes) == bytes)) {
> status = -EFAULT;
> break;
> }
>
> which on the face of it is sane: it's saying "if we can't fault in any
> bytes, then stop trying".
>
> And it's good, and correct, but it does leave one case open.
>
> Because what if the result is "we can fault things in _partially_"?
>
> The code blithely goes on and tries to do the whole 'bytes' range _anyway_.
>
> Now, with a bug-free filesystem, this really shouldn't matter, since
> the later copy_page_from_iter_atomic() thing should then DTRT anyway,
> but this does mean that one fundamental thing that that commit
> 00bfe02f4796 changed is that it basically disabled that
> fault_in_iov_iter_readable() that *used* to fault in the whole range,
> and now potentially only faults in a small area.
>
> That, in turn, means that in practice it *used* to do "write_end()"
> with a fully successful range, ie when it did that
>
> status = a_ops->write_end(file, mapping, pos, bytes, copied,
> page, fsdata);
>
> then "bytes" and "copied" were the same.
>
> But now that commit 00bfe02f4796 added the "disable_pagefault()"
> around the whole thing, fault_in_iov_iter_readable() will easily fail
> half-way instead of bringing the next page in, and then that
> ->write_begin() to ->write_end() sequence will see the copy in the
> middle failing half-way too, and you'll have that write_end()
> condition with the write _partially_ succeeding.
>
> Which is the complex case for write_end() that you practically
> speaking never saw before (it *could* happen with a race with swap-out
> or similar, but it was not really something you could trigger in real
> life.
>
> And I suspect this is what bites you with gfs2
>
> To *test* that hypothesis, how about you try this attached patch? The
> generic_perform_write() function in mm/filemap.c has the same exact
> pattern, but as mentioned, a filesystem really needs to be able to
> handle the partial write_end() case, so it's not a *bug* in that code,
> but it migth be triggering a bug in gfs2.
>
> And gfs2 only uses the iomap_write_iter() case, I think. So that's the
> only case this attached patch changes.
>
> Again - I think the unpatched iomap_write_iter() code is fine, but I
> think it may be what then triggers the real bug in gfs2. So this patch
> is not wrong per se, but this patch is basically a "hide the problem"
> patch, and it would be very interesting to hear if it does indeed fix

We still get data corruption with the patch applied. The
WARN_ON_ONCE(!bytes) doesn't trigger.

As an additional experiment, I've added code to check the iterator
position that iomap_file_buffered_write() returns, and it's all
looking good as well: an iov_iter_advance(orig_from, written) from the
original position always gets us to the same iterator.

This points at gfs2 getting things wrong after a short write, for
example, marking a page / folio uptodate that isn't. But the uptodate
handling happens at the iomap layer, so this doesn't leave me with an
immediate suspect.

We're on filesystems with block size == page size, so none of the
struct iomap_page uptodata handling should be involved, either.

> Because that would pinpoint exactly what the bug is.
>
> I'm adding Christoph and Darrick as iomap maintainers here to the
> participants (and Dave Chinner in case he's also the temporary
> maintainer because Darrick is doing reviews) not because they
> necessarily care, but just because this test-patch obviously involves
> the iomap code.
>
> NOTE! This patch is entirely untested. I also didn't actually yet go
> look at what gfs2 does when 'bytes' and 'copied' are different. But
> since I finally think I figured out what might be going on, I decided
> I'd send this out sooner rather than later.
>
> Because this is the first thing that makes me go "Aaahh.. This might
> explain it".
>
> Linus

Thanks,
Andreas

  Last update: 2022-05-03 10:57    [W:0.145 / U:0.020 seconds]