SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] platform-drivers-x86 for 5.19-1
From
Hi,

On 5/26/22 21:25, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 5:34 AM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> 5. run:
>>
>> git tag -s platform-drivers-x86-v5.19-1 for-next
>> git request-pull v5.18-rc1 git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/pdx86/platform-drivers-x86.git platform-drivers-x86-v5.19-1 > pull
>
> So there's your problem.
>
> You're basically saying "give me a pull-request against v5.18-rc1".
>
> Which is bogus, since you already sent me part of your pile after rc1,
> and I already have it, so now your pull request will end up repeating
> those parts.
>
> So just do
>
> git fetch origin
> git request-pull origin/master git://git....
>
> to let git figure out what the actual common state is with 'origin'
> (and obviously you may have a different name for my upstream
> repository, so replace "origin" with whatever that correct name is).
>
> (That "git fetch origin" doesn't have to happen right before the pull
> request, but it has to be done at *some* point so that your git tree
> is basically aware of what I've merged from you previously).
>
> Anyway, the important point is that you shouldn't try to remember -
> incorrectly - what the last common point for us is. Git knows - as
> long as you just give it enough info.

Right, I see. I gave this a try locally and indeed reduces the shortlog
+ diffstat a bit. I will remember to use this form when creating
pull-reqs from now on.

Note that this seems to only help up to the point where my for-next
and fixes branching start diverging though.

So e.g. the surface bits you pointed out before:

platform/surface:
- aggregator: Fix initialization order when compiling as builtin module
- gpe: Add support for Surface Pro 8

+ the matching diffstat bits

Are still present in the shortlog even though they are already in v5.18

Regards,

Hans

  Last update: 2022-05-26 21:58    [W:0.883 / U:0.268 seconds]