SubjectRe: Question about SPIs' interrupt trigger type restrictions
On Thu, 26 May 2022 13:09:32 +0100,
richard clark <richard.xnu.clark@gmail.com> wrote:

> CC'ing some nxp guys for the S32G274A SOC...
>
> On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 2:54 PM Marc Zyngier <maz@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 26 May 2022 04:44:41 +0100,
> > richard clark <richard.xnu.clark@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > This rising edge detection is not true, it's also asserted by
> > > falling edge, just like the GICD_ICFGR register says: Changing the
> > > interrupt configuration between level-sensitive and *edge-triggered
> > > (in either direction)* at a time when there is a pending interrupt
> > > ...,
> >
> > Let me finish the sentence for you:
> >
> > <quote>
> > ... will leave the interrupt in an UNKNOWN pending state.
> > </quote>
>
> Context sensitive(register-update leaves UNKNOWN pending) and
>

> > and the direction here is about the configuration bit, not the edge
> > direction.
>
> with this(configuration bit: either level-sensitive or
> edge-triggered), but it doesn't matter.
>

> > > which has been confirmed by GIC-500 on my platform.
> >
> > From the GIC500 r1p1 TRM, page 2-8:
> >
> > <quote>
> > SPIs are generated either by wire inputs or by writes to the AXI4
> > slave programming interface. The GIC-500 can support up to 960 SPIs
> > corresponding to the external spi[991:32] signal. The number of SPIs
> > available depends on the implemented configuration. The permitted
> > values are 32-960, in steps of 32. The first SPI has an ID number of
> > 32. You can configure whether each SPI is triggered on a rising edge
> > or is active-HIGH level-sensitive.
> > </quote>
> >
> > So I have no idea what you are talking about, but you definitely have
> > the wrong end of the stick. Both the architecture and the
> > implementations are aligned with what the GIC drivers do.
>
> What I am talking about is - The SPI is triggered on a rising edge
> only, while the falling edge is not as the document says. But I've
> observed the falling edge does trigger the SPI interrupt on my
> platform (the SOC is NXP S32G274A, an external wakeup signal with high
> to low transition to wake up the SOC - 'Wakeup/Interrupt Rising-Edge
> Event Enable Register (WIREER)' and 'Wakeup/Interrupt Falling-Edge
> Event Enable Register (WIFEER)', WIFEER set 1 and WIREER set 0
> works).

This is thus driven by an external piece of HW, which, I expect, would
perform the signal conversion.

> I don't know why the GIC has such a behavior and what the subtle
> rationale is behind this, so just mark this as a record...

If you can prove that the GIC itself (and not some piece of HW on the
signal path) latches on a falling edge, then that would be a huge
bug. I would encourage you (or NXP) to report it to ARM so that it
would be fixed.

Now, given that GIC500 has been with us for over 8 years, such a bug
would have been witnessed on tons of existing systems (all the
SPI-based MSIs would trigger twice, for example). Since there has been
(to my knowledge) no report of such an issue, I seriously doubt what
you are seeing is a GIC misbehaviour.

M.

  Last update: 2022-05-26 14:53    [W:0.506 / U:0.096 seconds]