SubjectRe: RFC: Memory Tiering Kernel Interfaces (v2)
On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 3:01 AM Aneesh Kumar K V
<aneesh.kumar@linux.ibm.com> wrote:

> On 5/25/22 2:33 PM, Ying Huang wrote:

> > OK. Just to confirm. Does this mean that we will have fixed device ID,
> > for example,
> >
> > GPU memtier255
> > DRAM (with CPU) memtier0
> > PMEM memtier1
> >
> > When we add a new memtier, it can be memtier254, or memter2? The rank
> > value will determine the real demotion order.
> >
> > I think you may need to send v3 to make sure everyone is at the same
> > page.
> >

> What we have implemented which we will send as RFC shortly is below.
>
> cd /sys/dekvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:~$ cd /sys/devices/system/
> kvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system$ pwd
> /sys/devices/system
> kvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system$ ls
> clockevents clocksource container cpu edac memory memtier mpic
> node power
> kvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system$ cd memtier/
> kvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier$ pwd
> /sys/devices/system/memtier
> kvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier$ ls
> default_rank max_rank memtier1 power uevent
> kvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier$ cat default_rank
> 1
> kvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier$ cat max_rank
> 3

For flexibility, we don't want max_rank to be interpreted as the
number of memory tiers. Also, we want to leave spaces in rank values
to allow new memtiers to be inserted when needed. So I'd suggest to
make max_rank a much larger value (e.g. 255).

> kvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier$ cd memtier1/
> kvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier/memtier1$ ls
> nodelist power rank subsystem uevent
> kvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier/memtier1$ cat nodelist
> 0-3
> kvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier/memtier1$ cat rank
> 1
> kvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier/memtier1$ cd
> ../../node/node1/
> kvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/node/node1$ cat memtier
> 1
> kvaneesh@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/node/node1$
> root@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/node/node1# echo 0 > memtier
> root@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/node/node1# cat memtier
> 0
> root@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/node/node1# cd ../../memtier/
> root@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier# ls
> default_rank max_rank memtier0 memtier1 power uevent
> root@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier# cd memtier0/
> root@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier/memtier0# cat nodelist
> 1
> root@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier/memtier0# cat rank
> 0

It looks like the example here demonstrates the dynamic creation of
memtier0. If so, how is the rank of memtier0 determined? If we want
to support creating new memtiers at runtime, I think an explicit
interface that specifies both device ID and rank is preferred to avoid
implicit dependencies between device IDs and ranks.

> root@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier/memtier0# echo 4 > rank
> bash: rank: Permission denied
> root@ubuntu-guest:/sys/devices/system/memtier/memtier0#

  Last update: 2022-05-25 19:29    [W:0.147 / U:0.164 seconds]