SubjectRe: [syzbot] WARNING in follow_hugetlb_page
From
On 5/20/22 16:43, Minchan Kim wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 04:31:31PM -0700, Mike Kravetz wrote:

>>> From Mike's comments and yours, plus a rather quick reading of some
>>> CMA-related code in mm/hugetlb.c (free_gigantic_page(), alloc_gigantic_pages()), the following seems true:
>>>
>>> a) hugetlbfs can allocate pages *from* CMA, via cma_alloc()
>>>
>>> b) while hugetlbfs is using those CMA-allocated pages, it is debatable
>>> whether those pages should be allowed to be long term pinned. That's
>>> because there are two cases:
>>>
>>>     Case 1: pages are longterm pinned, then released, all while
>>>             owned by hugetlbfs. No problem.
>>>
>>>     Case 2: pages are longterm pinned, but then hugetlbfs releases the
>>>             pages entirely (via unmounting hugetlbfs, I presume). In
>>>             this case, we now have CMA page that are long-term pinned,
>>>             and that's the state we want to avoid.
>>
>> I do not think case 2 can happen. A hugetlb page can only be changed back
>> to 'normal' (buddy) pages when ref count goes to zero.
>>
>> It should also be noted that hugetlb code sets up the CMA area from which
>> hugetlb pages can be allocated. This area is never unreserved/freed.
>>
>> I do not think there is a reason to disallow long term pinning of hugetlb
>> pages allocated from THE hugetlb CMA area.
>>
>> But, I wonder if it is possible for hugetlb pages to be allocated from
>> another (non-hugetlb) area. For example if someone sets up a huge CMA area
>> and hugetlb allocations spill over into that area. If this is possible
>> (still need to research), then we would not want to long term pin such
>> hugetlb pages. We can check this in the hugetlb code to determine if
>> long term pinning is allowed.
>
> I don't think it's possible because cma_alloc needs "struct cma" just
> like handle and VM doesn't maintain any fallback list of cma chains
> so unless someone could steal the handle somehow, there is no way to
> claim memory others reserved for the CMA purpose.

I was thinking about the case where a hugetlb page is allocated via
__alloc_pages(). Not sure if that can fall back to a CMA area that
someone else might have created/reserved.

Unless I do not understand, normal movable memory allocations can fall
back to CMA areas?
--
Mike Kravetz

  Last update: 2022-05-21 02:06    [W:0.052 / U:0.264 seconds]