SubjectRe: [REGRESSION] lxc-stop hang on 5.17.x kernels
From

On 16.05.22 17:13, Daniel Harding wrote:
> On 5/16/22 16:57, Daniel Harding wrote:

>>> How it was with oneshots:
>>>
>>> 1: kernel: poll fires, add a CQE
>>> 2: kernel: remove poll
>>> 3: userspace: get CQE
>>> 4: userspace: read(terminal_fd);
>>> 5: userspace: add new poll
>>> 6: goto 1)
>>>
>>> What might happen and actually happens with multishot:
>>>
>>> 1: kernel: poll fires, add CQE1
>>> 2: kernel: poll fires again, add CQE2
>>> 3: userspace: get CQE1
>>> 4: userspace: read(terminal_fd); // reads all data, for both CQE1 and
>>> CQE2
>>> 5: userspace: get CQE2
>>> 6: userspace: read(terminal_fd); // nothing to read, hangs here
>>>
>>> It should be the read in lxc_terminal_ptx_io().
>>>
>>> IMHO, it's not a regression but a not perfect feature API and/or
>>> an API misuse.
>>>
>>> Cc: Christian Brauner
>>>
>>> Christian, in case you may have some input on the LXC side of things.
>>> Daniel reported an LXC problem when it uses io_uring multishot poll
>>> requests.
>>> Before aa43477b04025 ("io_uring: poll rework"), multishot poll
>>> requests for
>>> tty/pty and some other files were always downgraded to oneshots,
>>> which had
>>> been fixed by the commit and exposed the problem. I hope the example
>>> above
>>> explains it, but please let me know if it needs more details
>>
>> Pavel, I had actually just started a draft email with the same theory
>> (although you stated it much more clearly than I could have).  I'm
>> working on debugging the LXC side, but I'm pretty sure the issue is
>> due to LXC using blocking reads and getting stuck exactly as you
>> describe.  If I can confirm this, I'll go ahead and mark this
>> regression as invalid and file an issue with LXC. Thanks for your help
>> and patience.
>
> Yes, it does appear that was the problem.  The attach POC patch against
> LXC fixes the hang.  The kernel is working as intended.
>
> #regzbot invalid:  userspace programming error

Hmmm, not sure if I like this. So yes, this might be a bug in LXC, but
afaics it's a bug that was exposed by kernel change in 5.17 (correct me
if I'm wrong!). The problem thus still qualifies as a kernel regression
that normally needs to be fixed, as can be seen my some of the quotes
from Linus in this file:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/handling-regressions.html

Reg. the "normally": there are situations when we let a regression like
this slip -- for example if this particular use case is really odd, so
that the regression only occurs for very very few users. Is that the
case here? Or will most systems with a current or older version of LXC
show the reported problem if they are updated to 5.17 without updating
to a fixed LXC version as well? Then I'd say we likely should try to
find a workaround, as Linus otherwise won't be happy if he ever stumbles
about this thread.

P.S.: As the Linux kernel's regression tracker I deal with a lot of
reports and sometimes miss something important when writing mails like
this. If that's the case here, don't hesitate to tell me in a public
reply, it's in everyone's interest to set the public record straight

  Last update: 2022-05-16 20:19    [W:0.100 / U:0.084 seconds]