SubjectRe: [REGRESSION] lxc-stop hang on 5.17.x kernels
From

On 16.05.22 20:39, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 5/16/22 12:34 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

>>> Sorry, but that's really BS in this particularly case. This could always
>>> have triggered, it's the way multishot works. Will we count eg timing
>>> changes as potential regressions, because an application relied on
>>> something there? That does not make it ABI.
>>>
>>> In general I agree with Linus on this, a change in behavior breaking
>>> something should be investigated and figured out (and reverted, if need
>>> be). This is not that.
>>
>> Sorry, I have to deal with various subsystems and a lot of regressions
>> reports. I can't know the details of each of issue and there are
>> developers around that are not that familiar with all the practical
>> implications of the "no regressions". That's why I was just trying to
>> ensure that this is something safe to ignore. If you say it is, than I'm
>> totally happy and now rest my case. :-D
>
> It's just a slippery slope that quickly leads to the fact that _any_
> kernel change is a potential regressions,

I know, don't worry, that's why I'm trying to be careful. But I also had
cases already where someone (even a proper subsystem maintainer) said
"this is not a regression, it's a userspace bug" and it clearly was a
kernel regression (and Linus wasn't happy when he found out). That why I
was trying to evaluate the situation to get an impression is this is
really something that can/should be ignored. But I guess by
approach/wording here might have not been the best and needs to be improved.

> as it may change something
> that an app unknowingly depends on. For this case, the multishot ended
> up being downgraded to single shot on older kernels, so you'd never see
> multiple triggers of it. And multiple triggers is a natural effect of
> the level triggered poll that io_uring does. The app didn't handle
> multiple events in between reading them, which was an oversight in how
> that was done.
>
> Hence I do think this one can be safely closed.

Many thx for clarifying.

Ciao, Thorsten

  Last update: 2022-05-16 21:08    [W:0.048 / U:0.972 seconds]