SubjectRe: [RFCv2 00/10] Linear Address Masking enabling
Date
On Sat, May 14 2022 at 02:01, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 01:07:43PM +0200, Alexander Potapenko wrote:

>> > I'd love to hear from folks doing the userspace side of this. Will
>> > userspace be saying: "Give me all the bits you can!". Or, will it
>> > really just be looking for 6 bits only, and it doesn't care whether it
>> > gets 6 or 15, it will use only 6?
>>
>> (speaking more or less on behalf of the userspace folks here)
>> I think it is safe to assume that in the upcoming year or two HWASan
>> will be fine having just 6 bits for the tags on x86 machines.
>> We are interested in running it on kernels with and without
>> CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y, so U48 is not an option in some cases anyway.
>
> Just to be clear: LAM_U48 works on machine with 5-level paging enabled as
> long as the process doesn't map anything above 47-bit.

That's the whole point. If you use LAM_U48 in one thread for some
obscure reason, you prevent the whole process from utilizing the full
virtual address space. The other way round is also weird. If one thread
manages to have a virtual address above bit 47 then you can't get U48
for the other anymore.

Aside of that the whole per-thread approach can only ever work when an
application is crafted carefully to handle it. Think about shared data
structures with pointers inside. This surely can be made work, but is it
something which is generally safe? No.

Plus it comes with inconsistent behaviour in the kthread_use_mm() case.

What could work is a mechanism which tells the loader that it should apply
U48 and restrict the address space randomization to 47 bits, but
anything else is going to create more problems than it solves.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2022-05-14 12:01    [W:0.162 / U:0.104 seconds]