SubjectRe: [RFC bpf-next v4 0/7] Introduce eBPF support for HID devices (new attempt)
On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 6:16 AM Alexei Starovoitov
<alexei.starovoitov@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 02, 2022 at 11:43:51PM +0200, Benjamin Tissoires wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 9:12 AM Benjamin Tissoires
> > <benjamin.tissoires@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > [...]
> > > This is roughly what I have now:
> > >
> > > - hid-core is not aware of BPF except for a few __weak
> > > ALLOW_ERROR_INJECTION hooks (dispatch_hid_bpf_device_event for
> > > example)
> > > - I have a separate hid-bpf module that attaches BPF traces to these
> > > hooks and calls a "dispatch" kfunc within hid-bpf
> > > - the dispatch function then do a succession of BPF calls to programs
> > > attached to it by using bpf_tail_call(prog_array, hid_id)
> > >
> > > - for the clients, they define one or more
> > > SEC("fmod_ret/hid_bpf_device_event"). That __weak hook is declared in
> > > the kernel by hid-bpf but is never called, it's just an API
> > > declaration
> > > - then clients call in a SEC("syscall")
> > > hid_bpf_attach_prog(ctx->prog_fd, ctx->hid_id, ctx->flags);
> > > - hid_bpf_attach_prog is a kfunc that takes a ref on the struct
> > > bpf_prog*, and stores that program in the correct struct bpf_map *for
> > > the given attached_btf_id (hid_bpf_device_event in our case)
> > >
> > > And that's about it.
> > > I still need to handle automatic release of the bpf prog when there is
> > > no userspace open fd on it unless it's pinned but I think this should
> > > be working fine.
> > >
> > > I also probably need to pin some SEC("syscall") (hid_bpf_attach_prog
> > > and hid_bpf_dettach_prog) so users don't have to write them down and
> > > can just use the ones provided by the kernel.
> > >
> > > The nice thing is that I can define my own API for the attach call
> > > without dealing with bpf core. I can thus add a priority flag that is
> > > relevant here because the data coming through the bpf program can be
> > > modified.
> > >
> > > The other thing is that now, I don't care which function we are in to
> > > decide if a RET_PTR_MEM is read only or not. I can deal with that by
> > > either playing with the flags or even replacing entirely the dispatch
> > > trace prog from userspace if I want to access the raw events.
> > >
> > > However, the downsides are:
> > > - I need to also define kfuncs for BPF_PROG_TYPE_SYSCALL (I don't
> > > think It'll be a big issue)
> > > - The only way I could store the bpf_prog into the map was to hack
> > > around the map ops, because the fd of the map in the skel is not
> > > available while doing a SEC("syscall") from a different process.
> >
> > Update on this side: I realized that I could use the syscall
> > BPF_MAP_GET_FD_BY_ID instead to get an fd for the current task.
> > However, I've been bitten quite hard today because I was using
> > bpf_map_get() instead of bpf_map_get_with_uref(), and so every time I
> > closed the fd in the syscall the map was cleared...
> >
> > But now I would like to have more than one program of a type per hid
> > device, meaning that I can not have only one bpf_map of type
> > BPF_MAP_TYPE_PROG_ARRAY.
> > I have explored BPF_MAP_TYPE_HASH_OF_MAPS, but we can not have
> [...]

In the end, I am just using a global prog_array map, and handling the
indexes myself. It is probably not the cleaner and the most reusable,
but it allows me at least to move forward.

FWIW, I should be able to send v5 next week. I am almost done
reimplementing everything I had in v3, and I am now fighting with
hid.ko as a module (should be solved soon enough).

Cheers,
Benjamin

  Last update: 2022-05-13 19:02    [W:0.068 / U:0.620 seconds]