SubjectRe: Feedback on user-events UAPI
On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 03:45:31PM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> [...]
> > ABIs dictated by the kernel usually end up being de facto standards, I am
> > concerned
> > that if it is unable to allow purely user-space tracers to use it, then all
> > applications
> > will end up being statically instrumented in ways that prevent user-space
> > tracers from
> > hooking efficiently on the static instrumentation. As I have replied in an
> > earlier
> > thread, purely user-space tracers are not just marginally faster than kernel
> > tracers
> > for tracing user-space. They are an order of magnitude faster as soon as all the
> > proper
> > configuration steps are taken to ensure there are no system calls on the tracer
> > fast path. Therefore, it would be sad to effectively dismiss efficient tracer
> > implementations for the sake of easiness of implementation of today's user-event
> > ABI. This will cause a precedent we will be stuck with later.
> >
> > Linux kernel developers involved in implementation of instrumentation within
> > Linux
> > have spent a lot of effort to make sure the instrumentation is orthogonal to the
> > tracing technology (tracepoints, kprobe, kretprobe...). I understand that making
> > sure the user-space instrumentation ABI keeps this orthogonal is a lot more
> > work,
> > but nobody said that exposing ABIs to user-space was easy. ;-)
> >
> > The other point I would like to raise is container awareness. I can't help but
> > notice that the user events ABI is exposed to trace all containers, with the
> > intent
> > to be used (consumed) from some privileged namespace (e.g. root pid namespace).
> > This works in use-cases where the user of the tracing data controls the entire
> > machine (all containers), but not so much if the user is a single tenant within
> > a multi-tenants systems. I would expect that a proper namespace-aware facility
> > would take care of making sure that a trace consumer could observe what is
> > instrumented within its own container, and within nested containers as well.
> > The fact that all container questions are entirely dismissed, thus keeping a
> > event-enable bitmask registry and event ID/type registry global to the entire
> > system, is not compatible with consuming traces from a non-privileged container,
> > and I suspect this may also be used as a side-channel to learn information about
> > what other containers are doing in a multi-tenant system.
>
> One more thought: I may have simply missed it, but is there any user events code
> which dynamically validates that the input from user-space writev() indeed match the
> event description layout ? I'm thinking about wrong size, too short strings, too long
> strings, missing null terminator and so on. Any user input that could make the trace
> unreadable should never reach the tracing buffers.

Yes, there are validators attached to events to ensure that the minimum
size is written and ensure types that require certain safety gaurantees
are met. Currently I believe the only such requirement is for variable
length strings to have proper null termination (beside the min size
requirement).

See user_event_validate() in kernel/trace/trace_events_user.c.
This is called for both perf and ftrace buffers, buffers discard if the
validation fails.

Related patch:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220118204326.2169-7-beaub@linux.microsoft.com/

> Thanks,
>
> Mathieu
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mathieu
> >
> > --
> > Mathieu Desnoyers
> > EfficiOS Inc.
> > http://www.efficios.com
>
> --
> Mathieu Desnoyers
> EfficiOS Inc.
> http://www.efficios.com

Thanks,
-Beau

  Last update: 2022-05-12 22:21    [W:0.038 / U:0.420 seconds]