SubjectRe: Adding CI results to the kernel tree was Re: [RFC v2] drm/msm: Add initial ci/ subdirectory
On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 10:07 PM Dave Airlie <airlied@gmail.com> wrote:

> > And use it to store expectations about what the drm/msm driver is
> > supposed to pass in the IGT test suite.
>
> I wanted to loop in Linus/Greg to see if there are any issues raised
> by adding CI results file to the tree in their minds, or if any other
> subsystem has done this already, and it's all fine.
>
> I think this is a good thing after our Mesa experience, but Mesa has a
> lot tighter integration here, so I want to get some more opinions
> outside the group.

Honestly, my immediate reaction is that I think it might be ok, but

(a) are these things going to absolutely balloon over time?

(b) should these not be separated out?

Those two issues kind of interact.

If it's a small and targeted test-suite, by all means keep it in the
kernel, but why not make it part of "tools/testing/selftests"

But if people expect this to balloon and we end up having megabytes of
test output, then I really think it should be a separate git tree.

A diffstat like this:

> 7 files changed, 791 insertions(+)

is not a problem at all. But I get the feeling that this is just the
tip of the iceberg, and people will want to not just have the result
files, but start adding actual *input* files that may be largely
automated stuff and may be tens of megabytes in size.

Because the result files on their own aren't really self-contained,
and then people will want to keep them in sync with the test-files
themselves, and start adding those, and now it *really* is likely very
unwieldy.

Or if that doesn't happen, and the actual input test files stay in a
separate CI repo, and then you end up having random coherency issues
with that CI repo, and it all gets to be either horribly messy, or the
result files in the kernel end up really stale.

So honestly, I personally don't see a good end result here. This
particular small patch? *This* one looks fine to me, except I really
think tools/testing/selftests/gpu would be a much more logical place
for it.

But I don't see a way forward that is sane.

Can somebody argue otherwise?

Linus

  Last update: 2022-05-11 19:33    [W:0.267 / U:0.240 seconds]