SubjectRe: [RFC] sched,livepatch: call klp_try_switch_task in __cond_resched
On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 07:45:49PM +0000, Song Liu wrote:
> >> A KLP transition preempt notifier would help those
> >> kernel threads transition to the new KLP version at
> >> any time they reschedule.
> >
> > ... unless cond_resched() is a no-op due to CONFIG_PREEMPT?
>
> Based on my understanding (and a few other folks we chatted with),
> a kernel thread can legally run for extended time, as long as it
> calls cond_resched() at a reasonable frequency. Therefore, I
> think we should be able to patch such thread easily, unless it
> calls cond_resched() with being-patched function in the stack,
> of course.

But again, with CONFIG_PREEMPT, that doesn't work.

> OTOH, Petr's mindset of allowing many minutes for the patch
> transition is new to me. I need to think more about it.
> Josh, what’s you opinion on this? IIUC, kpatch is designed to
> only wait up to 60 seconds (no option to overwrite the time).

I wouldn't be necessarily opposed to changing the kpatch timeout to
something bigger, or eliminating it altogether in favor of a WARN()
after x minutes.

> >> How much it will help is hard to predict, but I should
> >> be able to get results from a fairly large sample size
> >> of systems within a few weeks :)
> >
> > As Peter said, keep in mind that we will need to fix other cases beyond
> > Facebook, i.e., CONFIG_PREEMPT combined with non-x86 arches which don't
> > have ORC so they can't reliably unwind from an IRQ.
>
> I think livepatch transition may fail in different cases, and we
> don't need to address all of them in one shoot. Fixing some cases
> is an improvement as long as we don't slow down other cases. I
> understand that adding tiny overhead to __cond_resched() may end
> up as a visible regression. But maybe adding it to
> preempt_schedule_common() is light enough?
>
> Did I miss/misunderstand something?

If it's a real bug, we should fix it everywhere, not just for Facebook.
Otherwise CONFIG_PREEMPT and/or non-x86 arches become second-class
citizens.

--
Josh

  Last update: 2022-05-11 01:04    [W:0.107 / U:0.240 seconds]