SubjectRe: [REQUEST DISCUSS]: speed up SCSI error handle for host with massive devices
From
On 3/29/22 11:06, Wenchao Hao wrote:
> SCSI timeout would call scsi_eh_scmd_add() on some conditions, host would be set
> to SHOST_RECOVERY state. Once host enter SHOST_RECOVERY, IOs submitted to all
> devices in this host would not succeed until the scsi_error_handler() finished.
> The scsi_error_handler() might takes long time to be done, it's unbearable when
> host has massive devices.
>
> I want to ask is anyone applying another error handler flow to address this
> phenomenon?
>
> I think we can move some operations(like scsi get sense, scsi send startunit
> and scsi device reset) out of scsi_unjam_host(), to perform these operations
> without setting host to SHOST_RECOVERY? It would reduce the time of block the
> whole host.
>
> Waiting for your discussion.

We already have "async" aborts before even entering scsi_eh. So your use case
seems to imply that those aborts fail and we enter scsi_eh?

There's eh_deadline for limiting the time spent in escalation of scsi_eh, and
instead directly go to host reset. Would this help?

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Kind regards
Steffen Maier

Linux on IBM Z and LinuxONE

https://www.ibm.com/privacy/us/en/
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Gregor Pillen
Geschaeftsfuehrung: David Faller
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Boeblingen

  Last update: 2022-03-29 12:58    [W:0.084 / U:0.664 seconds]