SubjectRe: RFC: Use of user space handler vs. SIG_DFL on forced signals
Marco Elver <elver@google.com> writes:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 at 15:54, Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:
>> Marco Elver <elver@google.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Currently force_sig_info_to_task() will always unblock a blocked signal
>> > but deliver the signal to SIG_DFL:
>> >
>> > [...]
>> > * Note: If we unblock the signal, we always reset it to SIG_DFL,
>> > * since we do not want to have a signal handler that was blocked
>> > * be invoked when user space had explicitly blocked it.
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > Is this requirement part of the POSIX spec? Or is the intent simply to
>> > attempt to do the least-bad thing?
>>
>> I have not found any POSIX language about this.
>>
>> The options are either we terminate the application, or the application
>> spins forever re-triggering the trap.
>
> Is this in case of things like SEGV? I think this doesn't quite apply
> to us. The cause of the signal (perf event) is rather benign, and the
> signal handler can deal with recursion.

Yes. Signals like SIGSEGV are what force_sig_info_to_task is used for.

Signals where a userspace instruction causes a fault and the signal
is delivered immediately (synchronously) with that fault.

> [...]
>> > For SIGTRAP on perf events we found this makes the situation worse,
>> > since the cause of the signal wasn't an error condition, but explicitly
>> > requested monitoring. In this case, we do in fact want delivery of the
>> > signal to user space even if the signal is blocked, i.e.
>> > force_sig_perf() should be an unblockable forced synchronous signal to
>> > user space!
>>
>> Which is exactly what we have. If you block it you get terminated.
>
> Right, however, in this case we want to monitor/trace memory accesses
> etc, and some 3rd party code such as a library being traced isn't
> under our control.
>
> What we can do instead is to intercept sigprocmask() and work around
> the issue, but libc interception is brittle. :-/
> We do just want to receive the signal, all the time.
>
> [...]
>> I think HANDLER_UNBLOCK is pretty much nonsense.
>>
>> A block signal very much means that userspace is not prepared to handle
>> the signal. So calling something that is not ready to be called can't
>> work. That is common sense, and I expect in POSIX as well.
>
> The fundamental question is, if we have a valid signal handler, but
> sigprocmask() is called, how do we still keep receiving signals for
> SIGTRAP despite sigprocmask()?
>
> Perhaps this is impossible without intercepting sigprocmask() in user
> space, in which we'll need to find a different solution.

Or adding some kind of feature to the kernel where you can report that
some signal is unblockable.

>> I expect that either you are looking for something like what ptrace does
>> with signal interruptions where another process is notified, and
>> userspace does not need to be involved, or that this is a don't do that
>> then.
>>
>> Or possibly you have some weird asynchronous signal thing happening and
>> you are calling it synchronous.
>
> Not quite. We need it to be synchronous, because we need to know the
> precise instruction and potentially do some other stuff _before_
> subsequent instructions.
>
> A compromise might be to deliver synchronously normally, but when
> blocked deliver asynchronously. But if the signal was delivered
> asynchronously, we need to let the signal handler know delivery was
> asynchronous, so that our tracing logic can recover and give up at
> that point.
>
> To do this indication if it was asynchronous, we probably need to
> extend siginfo_t once more. Would that be reasonable?

So the idea is to use normal signal delivery but to set a flag
to indicate that the signal was blocked at the time it was sent?

It should be possible to add another field that takes a non-zero
value. On older kernels it should always have a value of zero so it
should be safe.

It might also be possible to simply ignore the signal if it is blocked.

In either case it will probably take a little bit of care to get the
races out.

Eric

  Last update: 2022-03-22 18:07    [W:1.388 / U:0.012 seconds]