SubjectRe: linux-next: build warnings after merge of the tip tree
On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 11:04:38AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> > In recap:
> >
> > __fentry__ -- push on trace-stack
> > __ftail__ -- mark top-most entry complete
> > __fexit__ -- mark top-most entry complete;
> > pop all completed entries
>
> Again, this would require that the tail-calls are also being traced.

Which is why we should inhibit tail-calls if the function is notrace.

> > inhibit tail-calls to notrace.
>
> Just inhibiting tail-calls to notrace would work without any of the above.

I'm lost again; what? Without any of the above you got nothing because
return-trampoline will not work.

> But my fear is that will cause a noticeable performance impact.

Most code isn't in fact notrace, and call+ret aren't *that* expensive.

> > It's function graph tracing, kretprobes and whatever else this rethook
> > stuff is about that needs this because return trampolines will stop
> > working somewhere in the not too distant future.
>
> Another crazy solution is to have:
>
> func_A:
> call __fentry__
> tail: jmp 1f
> call 1f

> call __fexit__
> ret
> 1: jmp func_B
>

> where the compiler tells us about "tail:" and that we know that func_A ends
> with a tail call, and if we want to trace the end of func_A we convert that
> jmp 1f into a nop. And then we call the func_B and it's return comes back
> to where we call __fexit__ and then return normally.

At that point giving us something like:

1:
pushsection __ftail_loc
.long 1b - .
popsection

jmp.d32 func_B
call __fexit__
ret

is smaller and simpler, we can patch the jmp.d32 to call when tracing.
The only problem is SLS, that might wants an int3 after jmp too
( https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/product-security/bulletin/amd-sb-1026 ).

That does avoid the need for __ftail__ I suppose.

  Last update: 2022-03-22 16:49    [W:0.132 / U:0.480 seconds]