SubjectRe: linux-next: build warnings after merge of the tip tree
On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 06:14:54PM +0900, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:08:22 +0100
> Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:

> > > I'm not sure this part. Since the return trampoline should run in the same
> > > context of the called function, isn't ss same there too?
> >
> > It creates pt_regs on the stack, so the trampolines do:
> >
> > push $arch_rethook_trampoline
> > push %rsp
> > pushf
> > sub $24, %rsp /* cs, ip, orig_ax */
> > push %rdi
> > push %r15
> >
> > That means that if anybody looks at regs->ss, it'll find
> > $arch_rethook_trampoline, which isn't a valid segment descriptor, or am
> > I just really bad at counting today?
>
> Ah, got it. It seems that the ss was skipped from the beginning, and
> no one argued that.

Yeah, this is a long-standing issue, but I noticed it when looking at
the code yesterday.

> > I'm thinking you want a copy of __KERNEL_DS in that stack slot, not a
> > function pointer.
>
> The function pointer is for unwinding stack which involves the kretprobe.
> Anyway, I can add a slot for ss if it is neeeded. But if it always be
> __KERNEL_DS, is it worth to save it?

Probably, to save someone future head-aches. The insn-eval.c stuff will
actually look at SS when it tries to decode BP/SP fields, and I've got
vague memories of actually using that a while ago. I think I was playing
around with double-fault and the whole espfix64 mess and hit the ESPFIX
segment.

  Last update: 2022-03-22 13:08    [W:0.367 / U:0.384 seconds]