SubjectRe: linux-next: build warnings after merge of the tip tree
On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 17:04:28 +0100
Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 11:28:05AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:04:05 +0100
> > Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:
>
> > > Also, folks, I'm thinking we should start to move to __fexit__, if CET
> > > SHSTK ever wants to come to kernel land return trampolines will
> > > insta-stop working.
> > >
> > > Hjl, do you think we could get -mfexit to go along with -mfentry ?
>
> > int funcA () {
> > [..]
> > return funcB();
> > }
>
> > This currently works with function graph and kretprobe tracing because of
> > the shadow stack. Let's say we traced both funcA and funcB
> >
> > funcA:
> > call __fentry__
> push funcA on trace-stack
> >
> > [..]
> > jmp funcB
> >
> > funcB:
> > call __fentry__
> push funcB on trace-stack
> >
> > [..]
> call __fexit__
> pop trace-stack until empty
> 'exit funcB'
> 'exit funcA'

And what happens if funcC called funcA and it too was on the stack. We pop
that too? But it's not done yet, because calling of funcA was not a tail
call.

-- Steve

> > ret
>

> > That is, the current algorithm traces the end of both funcA and funcB
> > without issue, because of how the shadow stack works.
>
> And it all works, no? Or what am I missing?

  Last update: 2022-03-21 17:13    [W:0.334 / U:0.236 seconds]