SubjectRe: iommufd(+vfio-compat) dirty tracking
On 3/16/22 20:37, Joao Martins wrote:
> On 3/16/22 16:36, Joao Martins wrote:
>>>>>>

> An amend here.
>
> Sigh, ARM turns out is slightly more unique compared to x86. As I am re-reviewing
> the ARM side. Apparently you have two controls: one is a 'feature bit'
> just like x86 and another is a modifier (arm-only).
>
> The Context descriptor (CD) equivalent to AMD DTEs or Intel context descriptor
> equivalent for second-level. That's the top-level enabler to actually a *second*
> modifier bit per-PTE (or per-TTD for more accurate terminology) which is the so
> called DBM (dirty-bit-modifier). The latter when set, changes the meaning of
> read/write access-flags of the PTE AP[2].
>
> If you have CD.HD enabled (aka HTTU is enabled) *and* PTE.DBM set, then a
> transition in the SMMU from "writable Clean" to "written" means that the the
> access bits go from "read-only" (AP[2] = 1) to "read/write" (AP[2] = 0)
> if-and-only-if PTE.DBM = 1 (and does not generate a permission IO page fault
> like it normally would be with DBM = 0). Same thing for stage-2, except that
> the access-bits are reversed (S2AP[1] is set when "written" and it's cleared
> when it's "writable" (when DBM is also set).
>
> Now you could say that this allows you to control on a per-range basis.
> Gah, no, more like a per-PTE basis is more accurate.
>
> And in practice I suppose that means that dynamically switching on/off SMMU
> dirty-tracking *dynamically* means not only setting CD.HD but also walking the
> page tables, and atomically setting/clearing both the DBM and AP[2].

> DDI0487H, Table D5-30 Data access permissions
> SMMU 3.2 spec, 3.13.3 Dirty flag hardware update

I updated my branch and added an SMMUv3 implementation of the whole thing (slightly based
on the past work) and adjusted the 'set tracking' structure to cover this slightly
different h/w construct above. At the high-level we have 'set_dirty_tracking_range' API,
which is internal in iommufd obviously. The UAPI won't change ofc.

It's only compile-tested sadly as I have no SMMUv3.2 hardware, and to have this SMMUv3
DBM/HTTU support there's some requirements on the processor that I am not sure they can be
fully emulated. The Intel iommu implementation follows same model as AMD and I will get to
that next with a compliant iommu emulation too.

But now, I will be focusing on hw_pagetable UAPI part. I understand your thinking of being
tied to the hw_pagetable obj as opposed to IOAS for the dirty tracking APIs.

  Last update: 2022-03-18 18:13    [W:0.129 / U:0.560 seconds]