SubjectRe: [patch v12 00/13] extensible prctl task isolation interface and vmstat sync
On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 12:31:32PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> The logic to disable vmstat worker thread, when entering
> nohz full, does not cover all scenarios. For example, it is possible
> for the following to happen:
>
> 1) enter nohz_full, which calls refresh_cpu_vm_stats, syncing the stats.
> 2) app runs mlock, which increases counters for mlock'ed pages.
> 3) start -RT loop
>
> Since refresh_cpu_vm_stats from nohz_full logic can happen _before_
> the mlock, vmstat shepherd can restart vmstat worker thread on
> the CPU in question.
>
> To fix this, add task isolation prctl interface to quiesce
> deferred actions when returning to userspace.
>
> The patchset is based on ideas and code from the
> task isolation patchset from Alex Belits:
> https://lwn.net/Articles/816298/
>
> Please refer to Documentation/userspace-api/task_isolation.rst
> (patch 1) for details. Its attached at the end of this message
> in .txt format as well.
>
> Note: the prctl interface is independent of nohz_full=.
>
> The userspace patches can be found at https://people.redhat.com/~mtosatti/task-isol-v6-userspace-patches/
>
> - qemu-task-isolation.patch: activate task isolation from CPU execution loop
> - rt-tests-task-isolation.patch: add task isolation activation to cyclictest/oslat
> - util-linux-chisol.patch: add chisol tool to util-linux.

I still see a few details to sort out but overall the whole thing looks good:

Acked-by: Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@gmail.com>

Perhaps it's time to apply this patchset on some branch and iterate from there.

Thomas, Peter, what do you think?

Thanks!

  Last update: 2022-03-17 16:09    [W:0.317 / U:0.372 seconds]