SubjectRe: security issue: data exposure when using block layer secure erase
On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 10:37:40AM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> while staring at the block layer code I found what I think is a major
> security issue with the use of REQ_OP_SECURE_ERASE.
>
> The issue is not about the actual protocol implementation, which only
> exists for eMMC [1], but about we handle issuing the operation in the
> block layer. That is done through __blkdev_issue_discard, which
> takes various parameters into account to align the issue discard
> request to what the hardware prefers. Which is perfectly fine for
> discard as an advisory operation, but deadly for an operation that
> wants to make data inaccessible. The problem has existed ever since
> secure erase support was added to the kernel with commit
> 8d57a98ccd0b ("block: add secure discard"), which added secure erase
> support as a REQ_SECURE flag to the discard operation.

__blkdev_issue_discard() can break up the region into multiple bios, but I don't
see where it actually skips parts of the region. Can you explain more
specifically where the problem is?

- Eric

  Last update: 2022-03-16 19:06    [W:0.074 / U:0.152 seconds]