SubjectRe: Linux 5.17-rc8
On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 9:43 AM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> [ Adding more people to the cc, since this last change was triggered
> by earlier changes.
>
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 12:25 PM Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:
> >
> > Build results:
> > total: 155 pass: 155 fail: 0
> > Qemu test results:
> > total: 488 pass: 484 fail: 4
>
> Uhhuh. We got all the previous problems sorted out, but a new one instead.
>
> > This is a new problem. It bisects to commit fc328a7d1fcc ("gpio: Revert
> > regression in sysfs-gpio (gpiolib.c)"). The network connection fails
> > in the affected tests. Reverting the offending commit (ie reverting the
> > revert) fixes the problem.
>
> Hmm. Looking at the changes since 5.16, that commit fc328a7d1fcc looks
> somewhat suspicious.
>
> It claims to "revert" things, but the behavior it reverts goes
> basically all the way back to v5.7 (with one of the patches going into
> 5.10).
>
> And it clearly breaks things that used to work much more recently (ie
> this worked in rc7, but it was also the state in every release since
> 5.10).
>
> So unless somebody can find the _real_ issue here, I suspect very
> strongly that that "fix" that came in last week was just wrong.
>
> It is also very non-specific "Some GPIO lines have stopped working"
> with no pointer to actual reports.
>
> LinusW? Thierry? Bartoz? Anybody?
>
> Yes, there;s something bad going on here, but we can't randomly "fix"
> things in an rc8 that have worked for several releases by now.

People really need to learn[1] to add proper Link tags to each and every
commit:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20211217153555.9413-1-marcelo.jimenez@gmail.com
The last mail in that thread is a regression report for the fix.
Note that this "fix" has only been in next-20220308 and later, so
more breakage may show up soon...

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.6/maintainer/configure-git.html#creating-commit-links-to-lore-kernel-org

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds

  Last update: 2022-03-15 10:06    [W:0.082 / U:0.296 seconds]