SubjectRe: [External] Re: [RFC] io_uring: avoid ring quiesce while registering/unregistering eventfd
From
On 2/3/22 15:14, Usama Arif wrote:
> On 02/02/2022 19:18, Jens Axboe wrote:

>>> This seems like optimizing for the wrong thing, so I've got a few
>>> questions. Are you doing a lot of eventfd registrations (and
>>> unregister) in your workload? Or is it just the initial pain of
>>> registering one? In talking to Pavel, he suggested that RCU might be a
>>> good use case here, and I think so too. That would still remove the
>>> need to quiesce, and the posted side just needs a fairly cheap rcu
>>> read lock/unlock around it.
>>
>> Totally untested, but perhaps can serve as a starting point or
>> inspiration.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for the replies and comments. My usecase registers only one eventfd at the start.

Then it's overkill. Update io_register_op_must_quiesce(), set ->cq_ev_fd
on registration with WRITE_ONCE(), read it in io_cqring_ev_posted* with
READ_ONCE() and you're set.

There is a caveat, ->cq_ev_fd won't be immediately visible to already
inflight requests, but we can say it's the responsibility of the
userspace to wait for a grace period, i.e. for all inflight requests
submitted before registration io_cqring_ev_posted* might or might not
see updated ->cq_ev_fd, which works perfectly if there was no requests
in the first place. Of course it changes the behaviour so will need
a new register opcode.

--
Pavel Begunkov

  Last update: 2022-02-03 16:49    [W:0.059 / U:0.052 seconds]