    SubjectRe: [RFC 00/10] add support for fwnode in i2c mux system and sfp
    From
    Hi Clément,

    On 2/24/22 15:40, Clément Léger wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > As stated at the beginning of the cover letter, the PCIe card I'm
    > working on uses a lan9662 SoC. This card is meant to be used an
    > ethernet switch with 2 x RJ45 ports and 2 x 10G SFPs. The lan966x SoCs
    > can be used in two different ways:
    >
    > - It can run Linux by itself, on ARM64 cores included in the SoC. This
    > use-case of the lan966x is currently being upstreamed, using a
    > traditional Device Tree representation of the lan996x HW blocks [1]
    > A number of drivers for the different IPs of the SoC have already
    > been merged in upstream Linux.
    >
    > - It can be used as a PCIe endpoint, connected to a separate platform
    > that acts as the PCIe root complex. In this case, all the devices
    > that are embedded on this SoC are exposed through PCIe BARs and the
    > ARM64 cores of the SoC are not used. Since this is a PCIe card, it
    > can be plugged on any platform, of any architecture supporting PCIe.
    >
    > The goal of this effort is to enable this second use-case, while
    > allowing the re-use of the existing drivers for the different devices
    > part of the SoC.
    >
    > Following a first round of discussion, here are some clarifications on
    > what problem this series is trying to solve and what are the possible
    > choices to support this use-case.
    >
    > Here is the list of devices that are exposed and needed to make this
    > card work as an ethernet switch:
    > - lan966x-switch
    > - reset-microchip-sparx5
    > - lan966x_serdes
    > - reset-microchip-lan966x-phy
    > - mdio-mscc-miim
    > - pinctrl-lan966x
    > - atmel-flexcom
    > - i2c-at91
    > - i2c-mux
    > - i2c-mux-pinctrl
    > - sfp
    > - clk-lan966x
    >
    > All the devices on this card are "self-contained" and do not require
    > cross-links with devices that are on the host (except to demux IRQ but
    > this is something easy to do). These drivers already exists and are
    > using of_* API to register controllers, get properties and so on.
    >
    > The challenge we're trying to solve is how can the PCI driver for this
    > card re-use the existing drivers, and using which hardware
    > representation to instantiate all those drivers.
    >
    > Although this series only contained the modifications for the I2C
    > subsystem all the subsystems that are used or needed by the previously
    > listed driver have also been modified to have support for fwnode. This
    > includes the following subsystems:
    > - reset
    > - clk
    > - pinctrl
    > - syscon
    > - gpio
    > - pinctrl
    > - phy
    > - mdio
    > - i2c
    >
    > The first feedback on this series does not seems to reach a consensus
> [...]

    FWIW I think that the convert subsystems + drivers to use the fwnode
    abstraction layer + use swnode-s approach makes sense. For a bunch of
    x86/ACPI stuff like Type-C muxing/controllers/routing but also MIPI
    cameras we have already been moving in that direction since sometimes
    a bunch of info seems to be hardcoded in Windows drivers rather then
    "spelled out" in the ACPI tables so from the x86 side we are seeing
    a need to have platform glue code which replaces the hardcoding on
    the Windows side and we have been using the fwnode abstraction +
    swnodes for this, so that we can keep using the standard Linux
    abstractions/subsystems for this.

    As Mark already mentioned the regulator subsystem has shown to
    be a bit problematic here, but you don't seem to need that?

    Your i2c subsys patches looked reasonable to me. IMHO an important
    thing missing to give you some advice whether to try 1. or 3. first
    is how well / clean the move to the fwnode abstractions would work
    for the other subsystems.

    Have you already converted other subsystems and if yes, can you
    give us a pointer to a branch somewhere with the conversion for
    other subsystems ?

    Regards,

    Hans

      Last update: 2022-02-24 15:58    [W:3.657 / U:0.344 seconds]