SubjectRe: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] Enabling change notification for network and cluster fs
>  With this proposal, you are trying to move away from cifs specific ioctl?

Yes - since there are some applications that already use inotify
(although presumably less common than the similar API on Macs and
Windows), just fixing inotify to call into the fs to register events
is a good first step. See inotify(7) - Linux manual page e.g.

For the case of SMB3.1.1 the wire protocol should be fine for this
(although perhaps could be a few flags added to inotify to better
match what servers support) See
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-smb2/598f395a-e7a2-4cc8-afb3-ccb30dd2df7c

But there may be other APIs other than inotify that could be mapped to
what is already supported on the wire (with minor changes to the vfs)

--
Thanks,

Steve

  Last update: 2022-02-24 23:56    [W:0.107 / U:0.640 seconds]