SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] EDAC fix for 5.17
On Sun, Feb 20, 2022 at 12:12:41PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Or maybe the comment should be fixed instead, and talk about "natural
> alignment" rather than "compiler alignment".

Yah, where do I start... so, about this, I think I can simplify it by
simply unconditionally aligning to 8. My gut feeling is telling me
8-bytes alignment should simply work on everything. Because if it does,
all that crap becomes a lot simpler. But maybe I'm being too simplistic
here and there might be a corner-case where 8-bytes alignment just
doesn't work...

Then, that edac_align_ptr() thing is an abomination. It probably has
made sense at some point to allocate the whole structure, including the
embedded pointers in one go but I can't recall of ever seeing something
like that done somewhere else around the kernel. But maybe you'll know
of another example and why that would have made sense in the past.

If not, I'm thinking of gradually converting all drivers to do normal
structs allocation like the rest of the tree does and then getting rid
of that thing.

And I keep hoping someone else would volunteer but no one has so far...

Thx.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, GF: Ivo Totev, HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg

  Last update: 2022-02-20 21:27    [W:0.235 / U:0.264 seconds]