SubjectRe: [regression] Bug 216753 - 6e 6 ghz bands are disabled since 5.16 on intel ax211
From
On 02.12.22 18:42, Maxime Bizon wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-12-02 at 11:18 -0600, Dave Chiluk wrote:
>
>> The 6ghz band becomes disabled as soon as I upgrade to the 5.16+
>> linux-stable kernels. So from a user perspective this really is a
>> case of a kernel upgrade breaking user-space. This is what led me
>> down this rabbit hole here.
>
> FWIW
>
> I have the same issue on a Lenovo T14 gen2 laptop with built-in ax210
> card, and sold as Wifi-6E compliant.
>
> The exact patch you mention causes the issue, so it seems my bios does
> not return the correct values either.

That makes me (as a outsider that has no real knowledge about the inner
workings of the Linux Wifi subsystem) wonder: Does it work in Windows?
Because if that's the case I wonder how Windows ensures everything
confirms to regulatory requirements & standards. If that handled on the
software level if the info is missing in the firmware? Or is there a
another place in the firmware structures where Windows looks for details
(and we don't).

Or is that a Linux-only machine that might even use a different firmware?

P.S.: As the Linux kernel's regression tracker I deal with a lot of
reports and sometimes miss something important when writing mails like
this. If that's the case here, don't hesitate to tell me in a public
reply, it's in everyone's interest to set the public record straight.

  Last update: 2022-12-04 10:38    [W:0.066 / U:0.124 seconds]